Vitesse vs 13/60 front wings - difference?

Coming to the end of another Summer's driving and eventing and I'm noticing how tatty the 13/60 is. I could easily have won the award for tattiest Herald on our last run. The whole point of that car was to have something that wouldn't mind the odd mishap or stone chip, but there are limits; it's fine for Club members but you can see members of the general public inspecting the rusty bits with disdain. A lot of bodywork is planned for the coming Winter but I need at least one front wing. 

This is a 13/60 converted to Vitesse front end. I'm assuming the Vitesse panel was welded in to a 13/60 and it's not an entire Vitesse bonnet, but I don't know for sure. Does anyone know the differences between the two bonnets or wings? I can't see any but it may be something as simple as the small bracket on the front to attach the headlamp surrounds (or is that part of the light panel?) but I'm needing to confirm the difference before I shell out. I've checked prices this morning: Herald wing £140, Vitesse wing £210, so that's a BIG difference in something. Anybody know?

IMG_1585.thumb.jpeg.0a99dfa166d3fa6b8cdc14ebd34db19c.jpeg

IMG_1557.thumb.jpeg.a2c186ec6d65b213c3382624f8f65efb.jpeg 

Hi Colin

The only difference I know of, is the shape around the headlamp is different due to the 7" Headlamps on the 13/60 and the twin 5.75" on the Vitesse.

Obviously the front panels are different, but I'm not 100% sure if some of the other wheel arch support bracketry might be slightly different too.

I'm sure when Practical Classics restored their Vitesse in the late 80's early 90's, Vitesse Wings weren't available and they used 13/60 Wings and fabricated sections to suit the Vitesse front panel, but I may be getting mixed up with another article on Herald/Vitesse restoration.

Regards

Gary 

1 hour ago, Gary Flinn said:

Hi Colin

The only difference I know of, is the shape around the headlamp is different due to the 7" Headlamps on the 13/60 and the twin 5.75" on the Vitesse.

Obviously the front panels are different, but I'm not 100% sure if some of the other wheel arch support bracketry might be slightly different too.

I'm sure when Practical Classics restored their Vitesse in the late 80's early 90's, Vitesse Wings weren't available and they used 13/60 Wings and fabricated sections to suit the Vitesse front panel, but I may be getting mixed up with another article on Herald/Vitesse restoration.

Regards

Gary 

Colin,

When SW Classics replaced my Vit wings, they modified OEM Herald 13/60 wings, which involved altering the shape around the headlight surround to make a smaller headlight aperture. It was very neatly done.

Gav

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that may explain something to me, or then again it may not.... and might just confuse us all into the bargain. I've dug out the history that came with the car and it may give me a clue.

The car was converted to Vitesse front in 1978. I had always assumed that it was the original 13/60 bonnet with the front Vitesse light panel welded in, due to obvious bodging at the headlamps on the passenger side. The driver's side is perfect in that area, but now very crusty and full of filler round the wheelarches. NOW from the very helpful posts above I've realised it's a Vitesse bonnet on which the passenger side has been repaired using an adapted 13/60 wing, hence the bodging around the outer edge on that side only.

IMG_1557.thumb.jpeg.dd53bd4673213cc3d2bff63c3ee2f5bd.jpeg 

Sadly this means that I have a crusty driver's side wing fitted perfectly, and a good condition passenger side wing fitted incorrectly. As the intention is to have the entire bonnet rebuilt and resprayed, it's going to cost me both sides rather than just one. Wheelarches included. Gosh durnit!

Unless anyone has a reasonably good Vitesse bonnet lying around?

• Like 1