Vitesse 2 liter - strobe timing / pulley markings query

James H

9 minutes ago, James H said:

Dare I ask how much that "right-angle" from SpeedyCables cost ? You can describe it in words if you prefer 

Put it this way, as I did in my write up, "it had to be bespoke made (be calm, my bleating wallet!)"     Nearly two years later, it would be best to ask at Speedy's.

32 minutes ago, JohnD said:

What?  That's nearly ... sixty feet! 

well without 3 shredded wheats you can re do the maths for a lower % of 5280 ft /mile 

just 52.8 was easiest  ha !

with tachograph calibrating we had to have  a manual ability  and a 20mtr dedicated tracking outside 

not much help with MPH  TPM    

and whilst we only fitted the electronics of the day had to have all the gears and stinky grease to make correction boxes 

which just never got used but   as the only factory to be given the  option we had to have all the obsolete kit 

including a clock tester ( only  used on guys watches in the factory ,)

the grease is good for speedo cables  as its non transferable  but the smell is just awful     i have a jar i rescued 

when we closed production  .....just in case its needed    

Pete

1 hour ago, James H said:

Just had a look and they've progressed to £125 plus VAT and shipping

But if you don't have to bosh (sheet metal term for 'itting it wiv a big 'ammer) your chassis rail it's much simpler and as I said you can specify your ratio.

Iain

Edited by Iain T

1 minute ago, Iain T said:

But if you don't have to bosh (sheet metal term for 'itting it wiv a big 'ammer) your chassis rail it's much simpler and as I said you can specify your ratio.

Iain

Pardon my mistake yes I've only cut away floorpan not rail so if it can be avoided much the better

Posted (edited)

If can be forgiven ( if not just ignore ) for very briefly going off topic while waiting for a delivery how does this compare price wise to over there ? Its up for sale nearby and states " complete, very tidy in and out, full leather, manual transmission, one owner from new, needs the engine looking at "

I believe its the guy I got my Sprint from ( I got lucky and he'll be regretting the price ) and if it is he starts high and goes low so probably very negotiable...

Untitled.png

Edited by James H

6 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I think good saloon 2500 PI are pretty rare. For me a good body is more important than sorting out the engine.

Iain

I like them but really don't know much about them, I do also like a white Triumph so maybe it could complete the trio. If it has always lived here in the south chances are its solid...

The piston block has arrived but it has the same depth as a plug, arghh, should have gone for an adjustable one...

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Iain T said:

So from the shoulder to the round end it's the same length as a plug?

Yes but I lost patience and just welded on an extension ( I can weld, did I mention I had a Sprint )

By my calculations there is a -3° discrepancy from 0°/TDC on the pulley, such a small amount could of course be down to my method but it also wouldn't appear to explain my timing being at an indicated -4/5° ATDC...

Edited by James H

Posted (edited)

To be fair I did only start this thread out of curiosity based on the markings, at the end of the day the car runs perfectly regardless. Its fine, apologies to anyone with easily triggered anxiety but it can simply remain an unanswered question and as Colin said early on just drive as is :) 

Edited by James H

adustable  strobes can give some funny readings 

some dont like the trigger line sensor  upside down

I have two both the same but snap on   on is chrome    halfords is black both the same unit  the best ever was my emissions  Sun unit which i passed to the Ecurie Ecosse team when we were involved and never thought we needed it until   too late 

ecurie at dicks.jpg

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the best ever was my emissions  Sun unit which i passed to the Ecurie Ecosse team when we were involved and never thought we needed it until   too late 

Pete,

As you've probably gathered I'm just a new arrival here looking for some guidance and completely ignorant of who you are but I'm sensing something of a living legend in the field, are you ex motorsport, Triumph or both ?

I was recently watching the Tom Hartley Jr video on "The Greatest and Most Important British Car of all-time?", incredible what those Jags did in '53 and the Ecurie Ecosse team continued the tradition if I'm not mistaken ?

Edited by James H
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Pete don't worry I've just discovered your site profile, you'll have to forgive me I'm not at all familiar with the workings of the web, first time on a forum, can you tell...

I now realise you'd have been a boy when the EE team were at le mans so what was the involvement ? very interesting and a great photo !

Edited by James H

The  Commer TS3  two stroke diesel engine 

im a long fan     

I  got involved in the 90s  following the trucks visit to the dunstable plant 

she  3d119  lost  a piston crown ( they were bolt on )  returning from Le Mans and we sourced and fitted and unused  3D215

mike and  i acquired a load of disused tooling from the abandoned  engine test cells  and helped rebuild the orig engine

I drove her out of Silverstone with 2 jags and ERA 4b on board

look up TS£3 on u tube there are some good sounds of these amazing engines 

Edited by Pete Lewis

Thanks Pete, just having a look with my morning coffee, what a beauty !

I've started noticing a few historic motorsport trucks restored in private car collections to compliment the race cars of those with the means but I presume the vast, vast majority are lost to time, so sad really as they are every bit as interesting....

Hi James

Quote: ‘apologies to anyone with easily triggered anxiety’

I’m a member of that club !
While re torquing my cylinder head I decided to recheck my timing marks after reading your thread about timing, and mine appears to okay, thankfully!

i made my piston stop from an old spark plug having seen a video on YouTube. 
Maybe I can relax for now, road test to follow 🤞

IMG_3443.thumb.jpeg.2e9d5005d8cacc285dce735377839dc5.jpeg 

2 hours ago, Straightsix said:

I’m a member of that club !

Hi, at heart I am too but I'm working on it, depends on the day, comes in waves, best to keep preoccupied and probably away from forums...

Good job, don't know why I didn't just do that too in the first place.

The only margin of error I can think of is when scribing the pulley but I think it was accurate enough.

On 04/10/2024 at 16:44, Iain T said:

You could be right. It would explain the 5th gear speed difference as I can't find any T9s that aren't 0.82 ratio.

With the 4.11 / 3.89 diff issue in mind I will check the ratios as John suggested during the next couple of weeks.

Since the car has had both a 2 litre and a T9 conversion something I'd greatly appreciate knowing is what other changes to the car, if any, the po SHOULD have done so I can verify ?

No rush, cheers 👍

16 minutes ago, James H said:

With the 4.11 / 3.89 diff issue in mind I will check the ratios as John suggested during the next couple of weeks.

Since the car has had both a 2 litre and a T9 conversion something I'd greatly appreciate knowing is what other changes to the car, if any, the po SHOULD have done so I can verify ?

James, as you can see from the BGH link they do offer various ratios. I think the original Ford ratios were either 4 pot or 6 pot variants. There has to be an adaptor plate from the bell housing to gearbox and a shortened back end or the gearshift is too far back. A lot are cut, and welded which can result in distortion so the special one piece machined casting is much better. Obviously a new prop is needed. Last thing is don't use EP oil in the box, recommended is semi synthetic 75W90. 

Iain

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Iain T said:

James, as you can see from the BGH link they do offer various ratios. I think the original Ford ratios were either 4 pot or 6 pot variants. There has to be an adaptor plate from the bell housing to gearbox and a shortened back end or the gearshift is too far back. A lot are cut, and welded which can result in distortion so the special one piece machined casting is much better. Obviously a new prop is needed. Last thing is don't use EP oil in the box, recommended is semi synthetic 75W90. 

Iain

The box itslef will come later, I'm expecting a bit of a horror story... yes I've got your BGH link and Johns Sideways link for when the time comes.

I meant more in terms of other external parts that need replacing along with the engine and gearbox, you and Johny already mentioned the diff and I see you mention the prop too, anything else ?

Edited by James H

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, johny said:

The biggest is probably front disc brakes James. These were increased in diameter and used a bigger caliper on the 2L Vitesses. Rear drums were kept the same size... 

You're a star Johny ! How can I check ?

Edited by James H