Vitesse 2 liter - cooling (and fuel) setup for extreme heat with no overheating

James H

4 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I 'lost' my motorcyle licence during the conversion because this 

Thats exactly what I don't want to lose either, its been years since I had one but you never know... right on topic my last was an original Triumph Trident 750, no brakes whatsoever but loved it !

4 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Comme même & quand même exist, slight difference in meaning to the French, tricky for an English translation. It's more in the tone of voice and possibly a shrug.

Yes sorry comme meme does exist too with a different meaning but 99% of the time its quand meme that we mean. Its something that almost everybody misses including many french maybe because they can sound very similar but having finally discovered it I thought I'd share :)

4 hours ago, James H said:

paying both the property tax as the owner AND a "habitation tax" as if you're actually renting your own home

Taxe Fonciére is what all owners pay on their home, i.e. the property they declare as thier residence. Taxe d'habitation is/was the tax paid by the person living in the property. In my case I paid both. People with a maison secondaire pay the taxe d'habitation on that property, even though it isn't rented out or lived in full time.

I used the 'is/was' as taxe d'habitation is being abolished - I haven't paid it for a number of years now.

4 hours ago, James H said:

The only real downside to the scenario I can see is health care complications

Health care complcations? Boy, is it complicated, even for the French in the system, as I am!

6 minutes ago, James H said:

Thats exactly what I don't want to lose either, its been years since I had one but you never know... right on topic my last was an original Triumph Trident 750, no brakes whatsoever but loved it !

If you take the 7 hour long training course within 2(?) years you keep it.

14 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I haven't paid it for a number of years now

I wont tell him that as he's just paid it ! But if anyone was unlucky its him...

EDIT : just remembered hes a biker too

Edited by James H

This peak is genuinely close by, nearly 2klm high and famous for the Tour de France (they must be insane) and doubles as a ski resort in winter, its not all sweat and rosé on ice down here !

I'll check the alternator tomorrow 👍

Edited by James H

I knew that one was coming 🤣 No its the one local climb I've never tried with it, blew a head gasket right at the peak in a vw golf doing it though, had a snack while it cooled off, filled it up and coasted back down...

I'll do it next year and film it for you !

If you were a betting man what would your guess be for Steves time, got to be single figures ? 175 bhp in a car weighing, give or take, one tonne... I'd imagine our standard MK1s by comparison are sub 100 bhp by now...

Edited by James H

Interesting because mine definitely bogged down, so much so I was going to suggest only doing 30-60 instead...

I'm on the second tank of pure E5 SP95 and so far so good 👍 so since we don't yet have anything to compare it to my plan was to ramp up the timing similar to yours, tolerating some pinging up to but not beyond 2000rpm as you suggested and see what it gives... wont be very soon but I'll report back.

• Like 1

Mine has bags of torque so I reckon I could stay in 3rd and maybe O/D 3rd easily.

On the fuel point, both my cars don`t like low octane fuels, always stuck to Shell V Power 99 octane. When I get time to fit my mappable USB 123 Dizzy it should be even better.

S

Would your 4th not be 1:1 like ours then Steve or is that what you're saying that 3rd to O/D 3rd would be approx equivalent ? Any time would be interesting to see but at least one comparable time would be even better 👍

Edited by James H

20 hours ago, johny said:

brutal gear crashing changes😭

I'm still aware of possibly having offended lots of people with my past remark :

In fact as soon as I started I was regretting suggesting a 20mph start with the gearbox sounding like a bag of spanners, knowing what it drives like when using the revs its humbling how horrifically slow they really are with such a test, still it serves a purpose, hopefully... "

I just want to make it clear I was only referring to the specific test, otherwise they are absolute weapons on the road !

I just topped up with what will be nearly the third tank of SP95 but I just discovered it is in fact E10 not E5 (why do they keep letting me out!)

Turns out E5 95 is no longer available in my region, only E5 98...

Car is running better than ever though, and those timed runs were done with it, any thoughts ?

On 12/10/2024 at 18:36, Chris A said:

Perfectly fine these days.

Chris hi, being in France too do you mind me asking what you run yours on ? Just discovered we no longer have E5 95 here, just E10 95 or E5 98, cheers