Vitesse 2 liter - cooling (and fuel) setup for extreme heat with no overheating

James H

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

You have to remember that Normandy is famous for ceretain cheeses and dairy products therefore cattle, which means grass, which means rain . . .

Luberon - far too hot for us

Hi, yes aware of the climate, born a kentish lad I was english once too after-all 😉

Sorry I meant more about the heat... do you get better summers than the south east of england or is it pretty much the same ?

Probably for us somewhere in between would be ideal but where to choose, as you know its a big ol' place, we know very elderly french couples that travelled the country every chance they got and still not seen it all !

Hopefully bump into you at CLM 2025 👍

Edited by James H

1 hour ago, James H said:

Sorry I meant more about the heat... do you get better summers than the south east of england or is it pretty much the same ?

I would say that it is, in general, slightly warmer.

1 hour ago, James H said:

Hopefully bump into you at CLM 2025 👍

I don't do those sort of events, too noisy and bad for my back, even though I'm only 1 hour away. Mind you I do get to see interesting cars on local roads before and after such events. The was one year, some time ago, when on a sunday evening I was driving to Ouistreham to collect my wife off the ferry when I was overtaken by a Ferrari, then a second, then a third - I realised that as it was early June they were returning after the 24 hours LeMans. The car park at the ferry terminal was full of exotic stuff

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

I don't do those sort of events, too noisy

Ditto, one of the reasons I've never been too (for all the people not the incredible machinery of course) but having stumbled across the likes of JohnD it might be time to give it a chance !

I remember as a young teenager being taken for 2-3 laps around Brands Hatch in an open prototype of some form and not being able to see a single thing over the dash for the gforces... I loved every bloody minute of it though and swore to myself to pursue some form of motorsport but here I am many decades later having done everything but and I cant even claim to not have had the opportunity to, how sad is that !?!

If it tempts you, then I think the ACO still offer two 'parade laps' in your own classic car, before the start obviously and behind a pace car, for a not inconsiderable price.  Especially as three quarters of the circuit are public roads the rest of the year!

Here's one from 2006.  Look out for the Silverback from seven minutes on!

Edited by JohnD
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, JohnD said:

If it tempts you, then I think the ACO still offer two 'parade laps' in your own classic car, before the start obviously and behind a pace car, for a not inconsiderable price.  Especially as three quarters of the circuit are public roads the rest of the year!

Here's one from 2006.  Look out for the Silverback from seven minutes on!

That intro is an absolute cracker, had me in stitches...

Sure I'd partake in that in a heartbeat if I thought the car would even get me there in the first place, no you can almost certainly expect me to arrive in the private jet considering the distance. I'll track you down once cleared...

So the SB was a rare herald estate conversion ?

21 hours ago, johny said:

Talk about looking for excuses, I might just unbolt my roof at this rate😮

Hows it going Johny, has rain postponed things for tomorrow ? I'm honestly anxious for you, the pressure of my last "not to be sniffed at" times must be overwhelming...

Back on topic (briefly) I've been thinking about something... when I got the Vitesse the coolant I put in it was one I discovered for the first time having never used it before, and as we know it runs surprisingly cool. Some time later I drained the wifes Peugeot 206 and having been impressed by it used it for that too but didn't think anymore of it. However it has only just occurred to me that at some point we noticed her temp gauge also showing it running cooler than it used to and that it was from roughly that time... I initially thought the Peugeots needle might have dropped as the same thing had happened with the speedo but is it possible the coolant is exceptionally good ? I've always thought coolant is coolant...

Its rated at -25°C and I use it pure, has anyone ever heard of any performance variation between them ?

Edited by James H

Doesnt look anything special. From the colour its probably an organic (OAT) rather than the original green inorganic stuff so should be longer life but yes cant see any explanation of why it cools more effectively. Of course any change of coolant helps remove contamination from the cooling circuit but it doesnt usually make a noticeable difference...

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

as three quarters of the circuit are public roads the rest of the year!

YUP! I've driven round there a few times, you can spot where the circuit deviates from the public road.

Back in the summer of 2023 I drove round the 1906 French GP circuit (apart from a couple of small sections that no longer exist) on the public roads used for the weekend event that became the LeMans 24 hours event we all know about. If anyone has nothing to do and can't sleep Check out The Courier, October 2023

4 minutes ago, James H said:

What are your temps like Chris ?

Perfectly fine these days. when I first got the car it did get a bit hot at times but I gave the whole system, including heater, a good flush and new coolant. When I change the coolant I automatically include a flush through with water. I tend to put the heater on for the last couple of kilometres when returning from a run, the idea being that the coolant in the heater matrix is changed to help keep it clear. Yes, the heater isn't too bad either.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I tend to put the heater on for the last couple of kilometres when returning from a run, the idea being that the coolant in the heater matrix is changed to help keep it clear.

Never thought of that, thanks for the tip

Found a pic :

Untitled.png

Edited by James H

15 hours ago, johny said:

I wouldnt have thought coolant can make much difference but Im always open to the possibility and have certainly heard of manufacturers making claims along those lines....

If your car turns out to be slower Johny I'll send you a 5 liter tub of the yellow, something to experiment with to take your mind off things 🤪

Joking aside am I the only one routinely carrying around some tools and spares in the car, SURELY not ?

I'd genuinely like to know what anyone more experienced than I would consider an adequate emergency kit for a standard car then ??

For peace of mind I've ended up driving around with 15 liters of engine/gearbox oil and coolant, trolley jack, axle stands, fire extinguisher, torque wrench, oil syringe pump, strobe light, vacuum gauge, full set of spanners/pliers/mole grips and various other tools plus big box of spares...

25 minutes ago, James H said:

For peace of mind I've ended up driving around with 15 liters of engine/gearbox oil and coolant, trolley jack, axle stands, fire extinguisher, torque wrench, oil syringe pump, strobe light, vacuum gauge, full set of spanners/pliers/mole grips and various other tools plus big box of spares...

WOW! That's a serious list.

I do carry a set of spanners, fan belt, hoses, bulbs, coil and a few other bits and pieces that I would be capable of changing at the road side, other than that it's breakdown recovery . . .

My main thinking obviously behind the jacking stuff is not wanting to have a complete trip ruined because of something easy to fix under the car but out of reach otherwise... where to draw the line eh

I wish I could brave it like you, especially now knowing the performance impact it has, but me and sods law, best buddies !

EDIT Having said that, the only time its ever let me down was a stuck starter motor, a quick tap and I was on my way although once when on a long drive the clutch pedal light as a feather went straight to the floor, depressed it again and it was fine and has been ever since... worried the hell out of me but how is that even possible with a hydraulic clutch, never understood that one 👍

Edited by James H

ok the results are in, 20 - 60mph in 4th on flat gave 16 seconds buuut with largish passenger, roof (incl. all glass) and tools (although maybe not with quite as comprehensive a collection as you James!).

Really pleased actually as picked up cleanly and larger diameter tyres have actually corrected the speedo to coincide almost exactly with sat nav👍

24 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

It’s a Triumph 9 times out of 10 a simple diy fix will get you going again

Would that imply you also carry a ton of gear then Peter ?

I haven't forgotten the fuel cutoff for the electric pump, will do it 👍