Vitesse 2 liter - cooling (and fuel) setup for extreme heat with no overheating

James H

4 hours ago, James H said:

So based on all 3 comments its still a zero tolerance of anything French with the exception of butter, well its progress !

Au contraire, mon vieux!   For me, anyway!  i love being in France, French people and their lovely countryside!   Last year, I spent two weeks touring, either side of the Classic Le Mans weekend, I have a DELF Grade 1 qualification ( sounds grand, but it's basic French!) And regularly attend our local Laguage Cafe to practice.   Vive la France! 🇫🇷 

I hope and expect to be at CLM in 2025. See you there,James?

A bientot!

John

3 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Got a friend coming down from the UK soon for a local classic rally and the Circuit Paul Ricard / Castellet and others are nearby but for whatever reason I've never made it to a LM event, daft I know, so I might hold you to that ! As long as it doesn't include the others...

13 hours ago, johny said:

a rolling 20 or 30mph to 60mph time in 4th on a flat road in calm conditions just timed with a watch. Of course there would be some error but it could give a rough comparison of how ones steed is performing....

I'm happy to give it a try if any of you are, ok for the watch but may I propose GPS speed readings only ?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, johny said:

would need agreement on how to start as cant already be accelerating. Have to be cruising at 20mph and then unleash those mighty horses😁 

If you're happy and willing to propose the full criteria, fine by me, once agreed we'll give it a shot 👍

The validity of the results would be based purely on a gentlemans trust, naturally...

Edited by James H

I confess I've always mocked the modern sports car trend of having painted on badges but NOW I'm actually feeling smug about having a white car with its claimed weight advantage, and its thinly applied !

Must also remember to remove the "emergency breakdown kit" from the boot, effectively a second cars worth of tools and spares...

36 minutes ago, johny said:

What white cars are lighter? Great news!

Just something I've heard... maybe one of the reasons why we never see black planes but as always some say the exact opposite is true, also a motorsport theory so John might know more... in any case needs clarifying before we submit any times !

3 hours ago, James H said:

maybe one of the reasons why we never see black planes

Mainly because black converts all wavelengths of light into heat which means more cooling required internally.  Also the reason that in general cruise ships are white.

4 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Mainly because black converts all wavelengths of light into heat which means more cooling required internally.  Also the reason that in general cruise ships are white.

That makes far more sense Dick.

After some research the white paint theories in motorsport are probably a tongue in cheek continuation of the well known “paint-scraping myth” of the Mercedes team scraping paint off its W25 cars 85 years ago in order to win a race at the Nurburgring Nordschleife...

Disappointing news Johny, apologies for the emotional roller coaster ride 😁 

23 hours ago, JohnD said:

Au contraire, mon vieux!   

A bientot!

John credit where credits due, you've spoken more french there than I've heard come out of the mouths of Brits that have lived here decades, a "language cafe" sounds very english but its obviously working, proud of ya ! 

3 hours ago, James H said:

4 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Dick your username is a classic! Thankfully you haven’t attached a profile pic 😄

"Mainly because black converts all wavelengths of light into heat which means more cooling required internally."

and

"The SR-71 ... were painted black. This color radiated heat from the surface more effectively than the bare metal, reducing the temperature of the skin and thermal stresses on the airframe."

My eyes crossed over an hour ago and still wont come apart...

4 hours ago, James H said:

My eyes crossed over an hour ago and still wont come apart...

Thanks for all the heartfelt concern but its ok my wife is greek, orthodox people known for their unorthodox techniques and she sorted me out 👍

Note to self : stick to what you know and stay on topic, stick to what you know and stay on topic...

Been out all morning in the car and its frequently dropping slightly below temp when cruising, many have mentioned temps rising as expected but no talk of temps dropping, is this also perfectly normal considering its 21°C out and I'm still on the 88° stat ?

On 08/10/2024 at 21:15, JohnD said:

Perusing the site while having my lunch just stumbled across the video of you chasing down the Hamster, great stuff John ! Over here I was friendly with the acting president of Motul for a couple of years and despite many opportunities STILL never made it to Goodwood, Le Mans etc so CLM 2025 you say, you bet, I want some of that action before its too late even if ironically it is three times further for me to travel than you... do they allow passengers ??

P.S. the Herald jibe was to be expected...

Edited by James H

James,

Keep in touch about CLM, please!   
But "three times further for me to travel than you..."??    I live in the North West, my journey to Le Mans is nearly 600 miles, half of that in  the UK!    OK, if you live in Nice (the furthest bit of France from Le Mans?) that's 600 from Le Sarthe, but not 900!

John

18 hours ago, James H said:

John credit where credits due, you've spoken more french there than I've heard come out of the mouths of Brits that have lived here decades

I know what you mean. I've only lived here for 30 years, had French nationality since 2005, on my third term as a local councillor. I just explain that my accent is 'Normand' or 'Percheron', usually stops those who assume I'm English. Did have the mayor in a nearby town, I was at a function, point out I had a 'petit accent', I replied that I wasn't from there but from St Jouin de Blavou. After a brief pause he replied 'humeur anglais' with a smile on his face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Keep in touch about CLM, please!   
But "three times further for me to travel than you..."??    I live in the North West, my journey to Le Mans is nearly 600 miles, half of that in  the UK!    OK, if you live in Nice (the furthest bit of France from Le Mans?) that's 600 from Le Sarthe, but not 900!

Will do :)

Oops, I gambled on you being a southerner John...

Having that old friend in mind one night after food we were hammering home along narrow country lanes in a little Fiat 500 rental, him driving and the ladies in the back when from out of nowhere a huge male wild boar casually stepped out into the road... as is typical here these lanes have shallow ditches either side which are perfect for sending cars tumbling yet despite the screams from those in the back and me freezing from complete lack of control he slammed on the brakes and consciously kept the car going dead ahead into the unavoidable animal. Miraculously it didn't impact head on and instead got thrown off to the side and tumbled along the road before getting up and somehow walking off, also miraculously we got the car polished back into shape thanks to the flexible plastic bumpers. Anyway I'm sure we'd all like to think we'd do the same, working out the lesser of two evils in a fraction of a second, but would we... he will always have my absolute utmost respect for that !

54 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I know what you mean. I've only lived here for 30 years, had French nationality since 2005, on my third term as a local councillor. I just explain that my accent is 'Normand' or 'Percheron', usually stops those who assume I'm English. Did have the mayor in a nearby town, I was at a function, point out I had a 'petit accent', I replied that I wasn't from there but from St Jouin de Blavou. After a brief pause he replied 'humeur anglais' with a smile on his face.

I've been here exactly half as long and unlike Johns early adoption of a Parisian tone have more a Provencal accent, so all peasant in an old white renault van like... so I speak greek at home, french outside and english on here, none of them fluently...

Have you ever been south with the car ?