Re-sleeving carb inlet threads; anyone done it?

Colin Lindsay

I've been tearing my hair out trying to get the Estate started and have gone through three Solex B30 carbs in the last two weeks, refurbish / fit / no start / remove / check / replace with another / no start / remove again / refurbish and so on. Some of them have been in the spares pile a while and it usually becomes clear on fitting that the threads on the inlet no longer hold the pipe to make a good leak-free seal, which is probably the reason they've been put away in the first place. I'm assuming it must be possible to have these re-sleeved, like a Helicoil type thing? I've looked online for 're-sleeving' but it's usually re-sleeving the bores of moving pistons, so no help there. As always I just want to determine any pitfalls before I try it, or send the carbs off to have it done. It's a shame to waste good carbs for this one fault, it must be relatively simple to do, and I'm sure some business does it somewhere. Any thoughts?

IMG_9504.jpeg.ce9d1319b463303772ce7b9ceca96949.jpeg

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm assuming it must be possible to have these re-sleeved, like a Helicoil type thing? I've looked online for 're-sleeving' but it's usually re-sleeving the bores of moving pistons, so no help there. As always I just want to determine any pitfalls before I try it, or send the carbs off to have it done. It's a shame to waste good carbs for this one fault, it must be relatively simple to do, and I'm sure some business does it somewhere. Any thoughts?

IMG_9504.jpeg.ce9d1319b463303772ce7b9ceca96949.jpeg

A friend in the local TSOA Vic here advised me the other day that they were successfully heli-coiling the fuel pump inlet/outlet female threads.

Similarly I have numerous successfully heli-coiled the UNF threads in the alloy engine front sealing block

Also check the olive on the fuel pipe is tight over the years of tightening the fitting it swages into the pipe and can become loose allowing it to rotate on the pipe which will let air be drawn in I solder the olive onto the pipe to ensure a good seal.

Edited by Peter Truman