Remanufactured fuel tanks - what connector do they use?

Colin Lindsay

I've recently been given two of the brand new remanufactured Herald / Vitesse tanks, the ones with no drain plug or reserve tap. The fuel outlet is quite deep, so deep in fact that the previous owner used two olives on a pipe in order to get even half a seal, but it was still loose, and there seems to be an unthreaded section lower down which is deeper than a standard olive would seal. One of the tanks came with a long silver-coloured nut that has been butchered around the top for some reason, so I assume it too has been improvised. Does anyone know what the correct connector should look like, and if they're available to buy? Any of the suppliers who sell these that I've checked out so far don't show any connector that I can attempt to source anywhere else. Anyone used one of these and got ideas?

IMG_9899.JPG.75a6f1b857a3da2dbc92c5b400e7c48c.JPG IMG_9868.thumb.jpeg.caf67bc1b3e5039031f88f8f514d9701.jpeg IMG_9900.JPG.5912332ee5ea2fb403383cd40e60e3c4.JPG

In my past life my process control tech crew maintained all sorts of fluid, air and nitrogen control and monitoring equipment SO I have a good selection of olives to fit all equipment and manufacturers instrumentation this selection includes double chamfer nylon olives (like normal brass ones) to suit 1/8in dia to 1/2in piping, I wonder if this type would seal the outlet pipe and still permit the reserve tap to rotate without locking or binding up.

These have no reserve tap, just an outlet pipe with no bracket, hence I was wondering if they had any kind of solid seal that didn't need to be able to rotate. I've got 1/4" fuel tank seals and it does seem to make sense to use one to bulk out the fitting as in the originals. To be honest I don't need them, I have more than a few originals, but I'd like to set them up properly in case I pass one on.

my replacement  fitchetts tank had no reserve we just used the oig dip tube and sleeve nut 

thats where we used a bit of fuel hose as the  olive as the orig was pretty degraded 

a normal brass olive would have worked as there is not rotation now 

(never used the idea anyway)

Pete

22 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

my replacement  fitchetts tank had no reserve we just used the oig dip tube and sleeve nut 

thats where we used a bit of fuel hose as the  olive as the orig was pretty degraded 

a normal brass olive would have worked as there is not rotation now 

(never used the idea anyway)

Pete

Brass olive won't seal, the aperture is too deep for the standard screw fitting to compress it. This is why the PO tried two olives, and probably gave up which is why I ended up with the tanks. A new rubber seal should work, but I'm intrigued by the longer chromed fitting and wondering what it's from originally.

IMG_9868.thumb.jpeg.26102dc3ee8da2daabf0e37e60ea070c.jpeg