Lower trunnion bushes and water / dust shield

Adrian

Hello all, just a quick question. I'm using super flex bushes and wanted to know if it is necessary to use the water and dust shields on the rear trunnion for my gt6? With the modern bushing is it a luxury rather than a necessity?

Thanks

Actually in addition to this I know the leaf Spring bushes are difficult but I can't for the life of me get the sgs tube in without pushing out the opposite half bush. Even when fully braced it seems the tube catches the inner edge, compresses it and then pops out the bush when the vice is opened. I have slapped plenty of lubricant in as well. Thanks

Pete, with persistence I got the ss tube partially in but it still pushed the bush partly out on release of the vice. It looks to me as if it is just too tight. Can I ask there is supposed to be a smooth steel tube inside the curled end of the leaf? It isn't an outer casing of the old bush is it. If it's supposed to be there I really can't see how I can get the ss tube in

The spring eye is plain spring no sleeve, if there is any sleeve its the remains of a metalastic bush

easy tomremove cut through it with a hacksaw and it will pry out easy, dont put any cuts in the spring

as this will cause a crack to eminate so take it steady, when the cut is nearly thro , give it a good punch and it may split but it has to come out

theres a few Tee shirts out there for this

pete

Thanks Pete

Just in the interest of clarity I've attached a good in focus picture of my vice and a blurred picture of the spring eye. Is this the sleeve you were eluding to? If so that extra couple of millimetres should make all the difference. 

Cheers

post-1605-0-38655800-1458513521_thumb.jpg