Weep on the cold start device

Waynebaby

Hi All,

The cold start device on the front carb of my Mk3 GT6 (150 CDSEs) seems to have a permanent "weep" around the spindle that is actuated when you pull on the choke knob. There isn't enough of a fuel leak to cause a drip but there is enough to cause a smell of petrol under the bonnet. Do they all do this or is there something amiss?

Wayne

the discs inside the valve can get scored and often corroded , strip the discs out and run on a block with some fine wet dry to clean up the faces 

this may help

and while youre in there make sure the temperature compensators are fully closed and  the two sealing o rings are sound

these little valves are to allow air to bypass the throttle plates when its very heated, to set your base mixture and idle setting its most important the little sods are closed for normal operating temperatures  you dont want them open  at 'normal' 

these were an emission device from the 70s , to lean off when hot,  

inside is a small nut  ,, tighten it till the plastic plunger seals the bleed hole up. in fact,really shut is better than any unkown condition.

Pete 

The sealing O rings can be replaced without taking the TCs apart. For an explanation of what they do and how the carbs work here is a site recommended to me by a Mr Lewis of Luton. Seems to me that if you take the TCs off and stop the holes, start the engine and it runs as before, then your TCs are OK.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Carbs/CarbsI/CarbsI.htm