Camshaft Options

Darren Groves

Knowing that my engine will have to come out in the winter (I like to plan ahead), I have been thinking do I want to stick with the Newman PH2 Fast Road Camshaft that I've been using for the last 3 years and I'm at the conclusion that I don't. The loss of torque at lower revs, everything useful is 500-1000 revs too high in the rev range for the roads where I live and my driving style, so it's got to go.

So what to do? I could go back to a standard 13/60 camshaft, the cheapest option as I have 2 but that's just a bit too easy and safe.

I have read in a few places that the Spit MK3 is the best of the stock Triumph ones, timing and duration are: 25/65  65/25 & 270°

Or I could go for the Newman or Piper Cams 'Road' Options:

Newman PH1 - Timing: 20/60  60/20, Duration: 260°, Power Band: 1500-6000
Piper Cams TRBP255 - Timing: 17/55  55/17, Duration: 252°, Power Band: 1500-5800

Or there is a Kent 'High Torque' camshaft which I can find little information on:
Kent Cams TH12 High Torque - Timing: 31/5  67/23 Duration: 270°, Power Band 1500-6500

This time round I'm looking for a smoother idling cam, with more useful torque and power at more modest revs, so I need some help here with what to do, anyone got good or bad experiences of any of these cams or other suggestions?

I feel your pain, I did what you have done to my vitesse, and almost instantly regretted it.

I would go the tried and tested route of the spit 3 profile, yes it will sacrifice a little power, but will be more drivable and probably feel quicker on the road.

That is my 2p worth....

• Like 1

I feel your pain, I did what you have done to my vitesse, and almost instantly regretted it.

I would go the tried and tested route of the spit 3 profile, yes it will sacrifice a little power, but will be more drivable and probably feel quicker on the road.

That is my 2p worth....

This engine has been hard work from day one, partly as the supplier gave me the wrong timing installation figure for the cam so it was 5º out for 18 months. I never actually intended to buy a fast road cam, I asked for what they recommended to help make the car more driveable, they claimed it would improve torque & power, but it just feels all in the wrong place for regular driving. I paid the price for just accepting their recommendation - lesson learned.

My gut feeling is the Spitfire cam, like you say Clive it's tried and tested and I feel it will be a better drive at the expense for a few bhp.

I am intrigued with the Kent High Torque Cam though, but very little about it anywhere on the web. Would be interested to know what driving characteristics that produces.

This comes back to we dont have a developement or experimental department , like Triumph and all makers have to ensure it does what it should in a variety of driving conditions and uses

Many of us like to play around and believe it has to be better when on the stop watch or wallet

it is often worse, as we dont have a resource or time to test , measure and compare results

its hobby and enthusiasm overtakes sense ,

I can be fun, somethings work some just dont, garden shed developement is inspiring but rarely

competes with the manufacturers testing , but theres plenty of scope for Tee shirt lessons learnt

the hobby would be pretty boring if we didnt

There's a fair amount of information about tuning Triumph engines out there. So I don't think it's as grey as all that. 

There's a few good resources on tuning the spitfire engine on the internet and people have raced the 6 cylinder for ages.