Ignition Switch & Horn

Vitesse 6, with a ignition switch on the steering column.....

With the ignition key out the horn works fine, with the ignition key in and in any position the horn doesn't work. The ignition key once in the barrel is interrupting the earth through the column, there's no problem with the live supply, it's definitely the switch affecting the earth. If I attach an earth lead from the steering column clamp to ground, the horn works regardless of key position.

Another oddity with the switch is if you turn it anti-clockwise you can go past the stop position and it will crank the engine but not start, as the ignition isn't on.

You can buy the back of these switches pre-wired, so I guess that may stop the ability to go past the stop and crank the engine, but is that going to have any effect on the horn issue do you think?

All very odd Darren because the horn is independent of the ignition switch. Does the horn on you car go through a relay? The GT6 does but the 1500 spitfire doesn't. Not that the relay should make any difference to this particular problem. Is the horn push on the steering wheel or on a stalk?

Hi John,

Not my car, one that I'm doing some work on. The wiring is a little butchered, but no relays on that circuit that I could see and it's the usual horn push on the wheel. There is no interruption on the live side of the circuit, good voltage in all key positions, definitely a break in the earth when the key's in.

odd the horn should supplied from the browns or a white and be earthed via the column . its uj and via the stg rack

sounds like somethngs cross on the switch... how did a Vit6 get a column switch ?????   must have been modified sometime

turn switch back normally gave aux feed for radio, sound like someones got the white red to the solenoid  in the wrong place

does it spring back from this back  position or stay there?

all a bit odd.

The car is actually a Park Royal Estate and it's had a few mods fitted in the past including this steering column.

I don't think you're supposed to be able to turn the switch anti-clock through the stop, it doesn't spring back just stays there. The switch front shows 4 positions 0, I, II & III, in that order, so not like the dash mounted switch where accessories is anti-clock from stop.

The feed to the starter solenoid is in the right place, it's on the only terminal that is live only when turned to position III, which does spring back to position II.

Just don't see how the switch can affect earth...

Hi Darren you do have some fun land at you door Ha!

as some switches of the era would turn back to power the diesel pre heaters

it was sprung. , just out the box thoughts.

if the column earth was missing could the key entry mate the inner with the outer via the lock plunger

or some wild idea to make a working earth when the correct route has failed , is there a wire across the uj

and a link from the rack greaser to the chassis ?

pete

• Like 1

if the column earth was missing could the key entry mate the inner with the outer via the lock plunger

or some wild idea to make a working earth when the correct route has failed , is there a wire across the uj

pete

Good point, will re-check the earth straps....

Well done Pete, right on the money.

Missing earth lead on the Coupling, with the key out it was engaging the steering lock which created an earth via the switch which has an earth. Put the key in, earth broken and nothing.

All works a treat now, thank you.

Hi Darren you do have some fun land at you door Ha!

as some switches of the era would turn back to power the diesel pre heaters

it was sprung. , just out the box thoughts.

pete

I could understand it that way Pete but the way I read it is that the key inserted into the switch breaks the earth. How weird is that?