Bedding in Mintex 1144 pads

Pete Lewis

cant upload the actual form but to get the correct operating characteristics of these  special pads you must  follow a simple procedure on initial installation of new pads .

make sure disc and pads are cleaned with some brake cleaner.

3 to 4 gentle  stops from 30 mph  to check all is working ok.

repeated  hard pressure stops from 70mph down to 30 mph  do this 6 or 7 times

do not stop , you must keep moving,  then drive on to allow things to cool down , 

then you can stop.  

for M1155 or 1166 see below

Bedding Procedure for M1144 / M1155 / M1166

1) Clean discs with brake cleaner

2) Following initial brake test start with 3 – 4 light applications from 30mph down to 0mph.

After these, follow the steps below according to Material.

M1144: 6 / 7 medium pressure applications 70mph down to 30mph

M1155: 8 / 9 medium pressure applications 90mph down to 30mph

M1166: 9 / 10 medium applications 90mph down to 30mph

When carrying out the bedding process, do not allow the brakes to drag, do not left foot brake. To do so may result in damage to, or failure of the brake system.

Leave the brakes to completely cool.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Having had hot brakes (on old pads) the other day, I decided it was time for some new pads whilst I investigated the hot brake issue. (I suspect the pads are low, or I have a stone in there squealing away). 

I was not aware of any specific run-in requirements for Mintex Pads, so this is dead useful.

BTW, can you confirm what pads you are using on your GT6? I have bought some (MGB 535 I think, on the basis I can return if they are not right).

Ta

Steve

I have no idea's about retro bedding in but can only suggest you go through  the procedure and see if things Improve at all,  let us all Know if they improve 

mgb535 is a pad with std friction material

all new pads need bedding in the 1144 need more agressive    std pads need lesser effort , but in all cases getting them hot conditions the surface 

never stop after a bedding session or the resin will bond on the disc hot surface, drive till they are cooled.

you have to know if you have imperial or metric type 16p or 16pb   calipers , the pads may fit but the pin holes are very different 

and  will either be too small of a rattling poor fit.   

now if we had the old forum there was all the clues on their to show how you identify the differences 

Pete 

I am so glad I saw this post, I would not have known about the bedding in process being so precise.

Looks like they will need a good 30 minute 'bedding-in' drive.

Thanks for all the tips.

Steve

(it's a shame we lost the old forum - like all things that are new, we will soon get used to this, and the loss of the oldone will pale).

• 1 month later...

If, as I suspect on my car, this initial process is not carried out correctly is there any way to clean the pads and start again?

Not sure if this will work but may be worth a try, it used to work for me when the car had been left standing and the brakes were pulling to one side.

Whip the pads out and run a file across the face of the pads to take off any glaze or build up. Be craeful not to breathe any of the dust etc.

Then put the pads back in and try the bedding in process, nothing to lose and may just work.