Tyre pressures

almavor

Firstly why tubes they dont like being inside modern radials pretty much all the small chassis range are tubeless wheels , or have you got wire wheels fitted

As for preesures keep the orig diference front to back but many run around 4lbs more than the old crossply

book spec for crossply 21f 24 r 2 up 21f 28r 4 up

tyres make up a lot of the ride technology on our old cars too hard reduces the footprint and makes for hard noisy ride

its down to trial and error to get the feel you find acceptable

I found the book pressures gave my convertible a ride that was a bit 'floaty' and soft. I am now running with front at 1.7 bar and rear at 2.0 bar, roughly 25 & 29.

The ride is much firmer and feels better. I might drop them 0.1 bar alround and try that before making a final decision.

The tyres are 155/80.

As Peter said trial & error, hopefully no error as that could prove expensive :o

I overbought the car about14mo this ago and that was how the wheels were fitted. I assumed that the rims wouldn't support tubeless tyres. Only really wondered about pressures after a puncture.

Many thanks for advice given, will try running with about 4lb over cross ply pressures and see how handling goes.

Alan

I would recommend you get the tubes removed as soon as possible  removes any chance of a blow out or any instant flat

its quite unusual for a qualified tyre fitter to fit tubes into tubeless covers  they are not designed inside to take tubes and the chafing leads to hedges and ditches appearing at speed 

have  a careful think about this 

Pete

almovor,

Welcome to the TSSC message board!

All god advice above - I strongly agree with Pete and others - no tubes, please.

On pressure, there is no "right" number, but one that matches your conditions and the way you drive.

Two ways to tell:

1/ Slow.  Measure the wear across the tread with a tyre tread depth gauge.

2/ Quick - and you have to be very quick!    Measure the tread temperature on the inside, outside and middle, after  run over your favourite roads.     An infrared gun (like this ; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/121817120002?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006854&poi=&campaignid=620794543&device=c&adgroupid=27377119746&rlsatarget=pla-181479844866&adtype=pla&crdt=0) is a quick way of doing this, but you have to get around all four wheel in a very short time!

Increased wear, or temperature, shows that the tyre is being worked harder at that point.    It should be even across the tread.

Wear/heat at the edges - under inflated

Wear/heat in the middle - over inflated.

Good luck!

John