Fuel Pipe - Can I join 2 sections - Triumph Vitesse

Paul H

I am re routing the copper petrol pipe which has been incorrectly  done over the rear wheel arch  - see pic . Im moving the pipe to the correct location and following the chassis then up and over the rear rotoflex then into the boot - It would be easier if I cut the pipe and joined the 2 sections with rubber pipe - Is this an acceptable practice ? - The rubber pipe which goes into the petrol tank and the front rubber pipe to the fuel pump will be changed to ethanol proof grade - Any suggested companies to purchase this from ?

Thanks in advance 

post-1431-0-51457900-1478278931_thumb.jpg

Paul.

Fuel pipe has moved on quite a bit since R6, so please do not use that.

The required standard now is R9, which combats ethanol and has high pressure wall - not that high pressure is a factor on carb engines more pertinent to fuel injection.

I have changed both my classics to R9 due to ethanol in fuel. Yes I accept the Strombergs have rubber diaphrams.

You may also want to consider placing an inline fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. Perhaps an inline on/off tap as well.

If you have a spare half-an-hour have a look at this link: www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm

I got my R9 via Ebay item number  201209433349 perfect hose and no deterioration to date.

Hope the above assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

GT6 has several rubber sections as standard, I'm pretty sure other Triumphs also do. One is on the chassis under the rear wheel arch, one coming up from under the chassis into the engine bay. These are a couple of inches long. Additionally there are others in the engine bay on the way to the carbs. I have replaced the engine bay ones with one long rubber section from the fuel pump to the carbs to reduce the chance of the dread rubber slivers in the carbs. When I say rubber I mean the correct stuff to cope with modern fuel, although I ran for several years with the original rubber and modern fuel which turned my rubber to something resembling plasticine so, get the right stuff!.

Paul.

Fuel pipe has moved on quite a bit since R6, so please do not use that.

The required standard now is R9, which combats ethanol and has high pressure wall - not that high pressure is a factor on carb engines more pertinent to fuel injection.

I have changed both my classics to R9 due to ethanol in fuel. Yes I accept the Strombergs have rubber diaphrams.

You may also want to consider placing an inline fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. Perhaps an inline on/off tap as well.

If you have a spare half-an-hour have a look at this link: www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm

I got my R9 via Ebay item number  201209433349 perfect hose and no deterioration to date.

Regards.

Richard.

HI Richard , thanks for input. Plan to use inline tap in the boot pipe section plus inline filter after inline tap

Regards

Paul

Sounds Like I've been told some Duff info on the R6 Hose :o, Was told by a local Motor Factor R6 was Low Pressure rated but suitable for Modern Ethanol Fuel, with the R9 High Pressure type for Fuel Injection Use. 

However R9 is stated as being suitable for 10% Etanol content (E10) which some Petrol stations sell now and it reads as if higher Ethanol content may well be introduced in the future :(?

I've done a Google search on R9 Hose and there is an Interesting write up on a VW Site about the Specification of Fuel Hoses and also a link to purchasing 5.6mm ID R9 rated Hose and Clips.

http://www.volksbolts.com/FuelHose/index.htm

I'm not sure if this is the right Diameter for Triumphs though, 1/4" ID is the right size pipe I believe for the Vitesse, although the VW Site advises the Hose needs to be a tight fit onto the Metal pipes, so maybe 5.6mm ID maybe the right size for 1/4" Metal Pipe.

Interestingly I've been advised on another Website that Esso premium fuel doesn't contain any Ethanol, I've recently started using this in my Triumph.

Looks kike I need to change my Fuel Hoses again!!!  :wacko:  :wacko:    

Hello Paul & Gary.

Paul - 1/4" ID is equivalent to 6.35mm, so the 5.6mm ID hose is fine. Although it is 0.75mm narrower than 6.35 you will not notice any difference at all.

Also bear in mind that there is always a decent reserve of fuel in the carb float chambers, the mechanical fuel pump and inline fuel filter; so plenty to spare. I run 7.6mm ID on the Alpine with Weber's having a fuel inlet of 8mm ID and again I have never felt fuel drag / starvation.

Gary - thanks for flagging the VW website again as my cut & paste did not go blue; it's a very interesting & informative website IMHO.

Many motor factors etc have not even heard of R9 which is a tad concerning, hence their continued belief in the abundant supply of R6; that of course will change in time as the word spreads. Additionally, as you have highlighted, many motor factor staff are still unaware of the effects of ethanol.

Currently E10 is not in UK fuels although fuel companies are quite at liberty to do so PROVIDED the fuel is identified as such; the majority of fuels do have E5 (5%). You are spot on with Esso and currently they do not have ethanol in their Supreme range; whereas the other common high street outlets do.

The only variation with Esso Supreme fuels having 5% ethanol is if you live in the following areas: Cornwall, Devon, Teeside and Scotland - I do not know why this is.

Like you Gary, I use Esso Supreme 97 most of the time although I do use Tesco Momentum 99 occasionally - albeit it contains 4.6% ethanol.

Best wishes.

Richard.

Paul / Gary.

Wilst in the garage this morning I measured the petrol inlet on a Stromberg 150CD to double check the above information; all is good and as quoted.

The inlet OD is 6.3mm within the inlet ID measuring 4.3mm; so no problem with the 5.6mm hose as identified.

All the best.

Richard.

Paul / Gary.

Wilst in the garage this morning I measured the petrol inlet on a Stromberg 150CD to double check the above information; all is good and as quoted.

The inlet OD is 6.3mm within the inlet ID measuring 4.3mm; so no problem with the 5.6mm hose as identified.

All the best.

Richard.

THanks Richard , will order R9 tubing plus tap

Best regards

Paul

Paul.

You are welcome.

Regarding the tap, have a look at this on Ebay 272343048354 it has stainless steel ball valve with brass the brass unions. Ideal for the job.

Just a suggestion and I do have them on both vehicles; albeit bigger (8mm) on the Alpine.

Regards.

Richard.