GT6 Mk3 sidelights problem

Barry Kemp

So, I've just dropped the GT6 in for it's MOT and it's failed on sidelights.

For some reason (having been working for years) the sidelights (all 4)  now only come on when the headlights are switched on.

How is the switch wired?

Could it be as simple as a lead coming off the back of the switch - or arcing?

I wasn't expecting this!

Thanks,

Barry

I would suspect the dread fuse box. The upper and lower contacts on either side are not connected and rely on the end of the fuse to join them together. So, you can get the situation that one end of the fuse is held and at the other end only one contact is making a connection. A rubbish design! Clean up the contacts, bend them in and reconnect the fuse.

Check out the switch first with a multimeter. Easy to get at, just remove the heater knobs (held in place with small Allen Grub screws) and then the centre dash panel held in by 4 screws in the corners. You'll then be able to see the rear of the switch and check out the wiring to ensure nothing has come loose and then check power at the terminals using a multimeter for the two switch positions.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody!

It was the dash rocker switch.. replaced it with  a Halfords  3 position  switch to get me through the MOT until I can find the proper one. Rimmers and Canley no longer have them in stock so may be an E-bay purchase.

A nice and easy fix - now all I have to do is find that tiny Allen grub screw from the heater knob that mysteriously disappeared into the GT6 innards.

Such a small car yet so many places to hide!

• Like 1