GT6 MK3 Door Glass Removal - (pick a bolt any bolt)

StevieB

I have finally got round to looking at replacing the door glass on my GT6 MK3. Had it for ages, just never got round to it.

(My hand has been forced, or arse kicked if you prefer, because the door handle broke :-( )

Anyway, I need to know a couple of things please;

1) Which of the many bolts indicated below do I need to remove to allow me to lift the glass out?

http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/gallery/image/71-door-annotated/

I think it is the blue ones (apologies ot Dave Richardson if he is reading this, he did tell me at Silverstone, and I promptly forgot)

2) Once I have the door glass out, with the mechanism, I need to ease it out of the bottom channel. This looks to be a secure fit. What is the best way to do this, and what do I replace the 'rubber' padding with in the channel (I am assuming it will be trashed in the process).

Thanks in anticipation.

(Couldn't embed image don't know why - sorry)

You need to remove the upper and lower stop brackets (red and orange), remember which goes where! Then wind down the window until the winder disconnects from the lower channel. You can do this now the stop brackets are removed. Then unbolt and remove the rear channel (green). You should now  remove the outer rubber strip and inner seal along the door top. The clips will fall into the door for retrieval later. This will now mean you have the space to remove the glass and lower glass bracket.

To remove the glass from the bracket, heat up the metal to soften the rubber insert and carefully prise away. Note dimension for refitting. i used Tiger bond as the rubber seals are impossible to refit without risk of breaking the new drop glass!

Best to renew the seals in the glass channels front and rear at this point.

Refitting is a reversal of the above.

Slacken off the regulator and runner bolts when fitted to adjust for fit and remember to refit the upper and lower stop brackets.

Take your time and you will make a good job of it. :)

post-133-0-22131000-1408438099_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-24265000-1408438156_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-47593000-1408438203_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Somewhere along the line while all the bits were in storage, I've mislaid the glass stop brackets. They seem to be like hen's teeth, but does anybody out there have any spares, or, failing that, the approximate dimensions so I can make some up?

Cheers

I'll try to let you have a photo or two with dimensions. It won't be immediate because I've got to find the little blighters  :)

I'll try to let you have a photo or two with dimensions. It won't be immediate because I've got to find the little blighters  :)

Thanks John - it's not urgent, the car's been back on the road for nearly 3 years, with the final glass adjustment & door card fitting the last jobs for me to declare completion.

I suspect that's why I've been putting it off for so long, project separation anxiety.,..!

Hi Hugh here are some photos which I hope will help. If you have to make them I would start off with 3mm steel angle. This will give you a good start.

rgds

Johngallery_67_84_14668.jpggallery_67_84_65155.jpggallery_67_84_55639.jpggallery_67_84_44360.jpggallery_67_84_32987.jpggallery_67_84_42501.jpggallery_67_84_30893.jpggallery_67_84_30893.jpg

Brilliant thanks John - I have some 1.5mm box section steel in the garage from another project, I might make some up with that first & see if they look up to the job. Can't believe that there are plenty of door internals (winder mechanisms etc.) available but none of these.

Brilliant thanks John - I have some 1.5mm box section steel in the garage from another project, I might make some up with that first & see if they look up to the job. Can't believe that there are plenty of door internals (winder mechanisms etc.) available but none of these.

I think 1.5mm might be a bit flimsy for the job. These are 3mm and that's what I'd go for. If you have a problem I could probably make a pair for you.

If you were prepared to make some for me that would be fantastic - as long as it wasn't too much trouble. The only problem I have with making them is time - with a 7 year old and a 2.5 year old, I struggle with getting time for much, let alone garage work (hence it's taken me 2 years to get around to this "final job" of the restoration..). However they are both boys so in ten years time I'll have an energetic and enthusiastic project team for something..!

• Like 1

If you were prepared to make some for me that would be fantastic - as long as it wasn't too much trouble. The only problem I have with making them is time - with a 7 year old and a 2.5 year old, I struggle with getting time for much, let alone garage work (hence it's taken me 2 years to get around to this "final job" of the restoration..). However they are both boys so in ten years time I'll have an energetic and enthusiastic project team for something..!

Right Hugh I'll see what I can do

rgds

John

• KevinR unpinned this topic