CDSE 150SE Carbs fitted to Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Hi , My refurbished CDSE 150SE Carbs are jetted for my Vitesse Mk2 and they work fine - just need to tidy up a few loose ends - the pic shows where 2 bolts blocking  off 2 vents. Is this the best solution or should they connected 

Any assistance appreciated 

Paul 

post-1431-0-38424600-1489321470_thumb.jpg

SE were never used on Vitesse as far as i recall,  the vents are for sealed crank case breather systems you could pipe with a tee into the rocker port and dump the smiths valve and plug the manifold tapping 

but a plug with a simple plastic cap would be neater than a bolt

you could just tube the two together looks better but keeps them from sucking air .

xif the oil filler and any other open to suck air are not 'sealed' then you dont want these connected unless you like a really lean mixture and endless setting problems 

so bit of hose to siamese them is the simplest option

Pete

• Like 1

SE were never used on Vitesse as far as i recall,  the vents are for sealed crank case breather systems you could pipe with a tee into the rocker port and dump the smiths valve and plug the manifold tapping 

but a plug with a simple plastic cap would be neater than a bolt

you could just tube the two together looks better but keeps them from sucking air .

xif the oil filler and any other open to suck air are not 'sealed' then you dont want these connected unless you like a really lean mixture and endless setting problems 

so bit of hose to siamese them is the simplest option

Pete

Hi Pete - When I purchased my vitesse a year ago the Stromburgs were from a triumph 2500 and shot with fuel everywhere - so needed an immediate replacement so purchased the refurbished CDSE 150's - I should have waited for the correct spec to turn up as my experience  was not good, bent jet, incorrect jet heights & leaking choke ( see pic ) . The carbs were returned & the jet was replaced though still have the other issues ie incorrect jet height one is 100 thou the other is 115 thou . im hoping the leaking choke will just be a gasket change . I now have a hydraulic bearing kit so this should mean i can adjust the jet height . Last but not least I need to deactivate the temp compensators ( see pic )  - this should be easy enough as followed the thread you wrote .

Best regards

Paul  

post-1431-0-81623600-1489332541_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-56701300-1489332551_thumb.jpg

Hello Paul.

Those are most definately emmision control carbs and are completely unsuitable for the Mk2. I believe they are suitable for emission controlled GT6 vehicles and also some export Saabs.

When I purchased my Mk2 the correct carbs were shot to bits and I purchased a set of CDSE units on advice from Turner Carbs who said they would be fine with different needles. Long story short it was a complete balls up and Andrew Turner supplied me with incorrect info and a number of new needles that proved useless. It was my first learning curve with a Vitesse and vowed that my own research would be the first port of call before blindly accepting what was said. I thought I was actually dealing with someone who knew what they were talking about - but in MY CASE that was anything but the case. 

I sold the CDSE's at a loss, but kept all the different needles and ended up getting Gower & Lee (BRILLIANT !!) to overhaul the original units which made the car run perfectly; wish I had done that in the first place. The rolling road even commented upon how good the carbs were. When I said I they had just been overhauled by G&L - he said "say no more, that's why they are spot on and perform faultlessly" !!

If you can find the correct carbs for the MK2 (150 CD's), get them overhauled and it will transform your car along with electronic ignition.

All the best.

Richard.

Hello Paul.

Those are most definately emmision control carbs and are completely unsuitable for the Mk2. I believe they are suitable for emission controlled GT6 vehicles and also some export Saabs.

When I purchased my Mk2 the correct carbs were shot to bits and I purchased a set of CDSE units on advice from Turner Carbs who said they would be fine with different needles. Long story short it was a complete balls up and Andrew Turner supplied me with incorrect info and a number of new needles that proved useless. It was my first learning curve with a Vitesse and vowed that my own research would be the first port of call before blindly accepting what was said. I thought I was actually dealing with someone who knew what they were talking about - but in MY CASE that was anything but the case. 

I sold the CDSE's at a loss, but kept all the different needles and ended up getting Gower & Lee (BRILLIANT !!) to overhaul the original units which made the car run perfectly; wish I had done that in the first place. The rolling road even commented upon how good the carbs were. When I said I they had just been overhauled by G&L - he said "say no more, that's why they are spot on and perform faultlessly" !!

If you can find the correct carbs for the MK2 (150 CD's), get them overhauled and it will transform your car along with electronic ignition.

All the best.

Richard.

Hi Richard, guess where I bought my carbs from yes Turner Carbs . though I thought we werent allowed to post about companies who gave bad service - my 150CDSE work fine on my Mk 2 and on advice here checked the spec with Leigton Buzzard carbs who said they were suitable - I cant remember the needle size but will check and post for info .

Best regards 

Paul 

Hello Paul.

The advice I was given was incorrect, but have not commented upon the service - which for delivery of the carbs was fine.

Good to hear your carbs are running well. I think Andrew Turner placed very late Vitesse Mk2's and emission controlled GT6's in the same bracket, hence my situation did not work well at all.

All the best.

Richard.

They should all work ok providing the jet bore the needle , the piston weight, and damper spring all meet the oe spec they should be fine

where you get cd cds cdse then the evolved differences need correcting

you may not get the right biased top adjusting needle spec to be as a fixed needle

you can use two cds both with a choke starting valve and that works ok

you can get different piston weights and spring wire diameters

its down to knowing what spec you need and making what you have on the car match that..

whether its a Cd fixed needle with a thames barrier choke , a CDS with a starting valve and base jet adjustment( prefered) or a CDSE or later with all the bells and whistles the base carb

Still all do the same job if you convert either to the base triumph spec

temperature compensators can be reset to the book with a lot of faffing and tempersture measuring

of cork the bl*ody things shut

needle selections for pancakes etc are unlikely to be found , some changes to SU to get a range of needles but cock it up sucking hot air ,

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a lot of experience on this. Pete and Richard your are both right. Pete yes they should work OK as they just a variation of the CD150 - But. Richard is correct in saying the GT6 Mk3 CDSE is not suitable for the Vitesse. In other words don't just substitute these for your existing CD150s. 

The problem is the mixture range adjustment is very small and the needles are too weak. As the adjustment range is very small it is very critical to get the correct needles. These as far as I know are not available for use in the Mk2, hence the problem. If you fit these carbs to the either the earlier GT6 or the Vitesse then performance will suffer due to the very lean mixture, which you cannot correct, and maybe the engine will suffer as as well.

The small range over which the mixture can be adjustment was deliberate to stop the mixture being set over rich. 

I get my anorak and go.

Dave

I have had a lot of experience on this. Pete and Richard your are both right. Pete yes they should work OK as they just a variation of the CD150 - But. Richard is correct in saying the GT6 Mk3 CDSE is not suitable for the Vitesse. In other words don't just substitute these for your existing CD150s. 

The problem is the mixture range adjustment is very small and the needles are too weak. As the adjustment range is very small it is very critical to get the correct needles. These as far as I know are not available for use in the Mk2, hence the problem. If you fit these carbs to the either the earlier GT6 or the Vitesse then performance will suffer due to the very lean mixture, which you cannot correct, and maybe the engine will suffer as as well.

The small range over which the mixture can be adjustment was deliberate to stop the mixture being set over rich. 

I get my anorak and go.

Dave

Hi Dave - thanks for info , what needles would you consider correct for the CDSE's fitted to my MK2 Vitesse ?

Paul 

Paul.

As mentioned earlier I do have a number of Stromberg needles which are either brand new or been in situ for about 30mins.

I will have a look at their codes which you can use for comparison during your research.

Personally, I would quit the CDSE's and look for the correct carbs - out of interest what is the brass tag number on the dashpot; that's if it is still there ?? !!

If you require needles, I may be able to assist - depending on what is required.

Regards.

Richard.

Paul.

As mentioned earlier I do have a number of Stromberg needles which are either brand new or been in situ for about 30mins.

I will have a look at their codes which you can use for comparison during your research.

Personally, I would quit the CDSE's and look for the correct carbs - out of interest what is the brass tag number on the dashpot; that's if it is still there ?? !!

If you require needles, I may be able to assist - depending on what is required.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard - thanks for your advice and cut my losses and will now actively look for the correct carbs - if anybody has a suitable set for sale im interested refurbed or otherwise . In the meantime Ill check the needle details and advise .There are no tags on the carbs . In the short term not too concerned about running with existing carbs as they appear to run well . a pic of the spark plug is attached - are they ok ? I know there  is more adjustment 

Nb missed out on Facebook a couple of days ago as a guy was giving away a set of CD150's off a Vitesse MK 2

post-1431-0-85686400-1490270700_thumb.jpg

Richard/Paul, Trying to find a suitable needle involves looking at the profile, taper, of the Mk2 needles, 6AC, and then comparing this with the profiles within the range of CD needles. Its the nearest CD needle profile to the MK2 needle, 6AC, profile you are looking for.

If I remember there wasn't a direct collaboration between the two so it would need a number of needles and then its trial and error to find the most suitable. These haven't been available for a number of years. The suppliers just get needles made for existing models.

Dave

Hi Richard - thanks for your advice and cut my losses and will now actively look for the correct carbs - if anybody has a suitable set for sale im interested refurbed or otherwise . In the meantime Ill check the needle details and advise .There are no tags on the carbs . In the short term not too concerned about running with existing carbs as they appear to run well . a pic of the spark plug is attached - are they ok ? I know there  is more adjustment 

Nb missed out on Facebook a couple of days ago as a guy was giving away a set of CD150's off a Vitesse MK 2

Hi Just checked the needles are B5CF - I remember talking with Leighton Buzzard Carbs and they said the needles were ok , Leighton werent involved with the refurb as purchased from Turner Carbs 

Regards 

Paul 

Fit a older cd/cds piston with a fixed needle and knock out the jet and fit a bottom adjuster to the existing cdse body

its possible

the plugs not bad , a shade of brown showing, if the car behaves lean add a thicker piston weight or a thicker spring will richen the range, but I would stick with it unless its not performing

pete

• Like 1

Fit a older cd/cds piston with a fixed needle and knock out the jet and fit a bottom adjuster to the existing cdse body

its possible

the plugs not bad , a shade of brown showing, if the car behaves lean add a thicker piston weight or a thicker spring will richen the range, but I would stick with it unless its not performing

pete

Hi Pete , " a shade of brown showing " is this an indication of too lean or too rich 

Thanks 

Paul 

Paul.

This may be 1/2 the answer: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stromberg-150-Carburettor-for-Triumph-Vitesse-or-GT6-cleaned-up-/391733040056?fits=Model%3AVitesse&hash=item5b351bd3b8:g:mMQAAOSw4A5Ywcc-

My be worth asking the seller if he has the other.

I think you can use the linkages on your current set-up. 

It certainly looks the correct item, will need to check my units to confirm.

Just a thought.

Regards.

Richard.

• 5 months later...

Very interesting discussion. My vitesse is currently running on a 2000 mk 2 engine with stormberg 150 CD carbs (and goes really well) but I've just bought a mk 2 vitesse engine (basically to see if I can take it apart rebuild it - never done it before) fitted with CD150s carbs. Are these carbs interchangeable or are they designed for the specific engine? Presumably it comes down to the needles again?