Starter motor...?

Right, here goes.... Swapped a scrapworthy body on my rotoflex gt6 for a mk4 spitfire one. Then found a bare 2500 engine, so that replaced the 2ltr gt6 lump. Used the 2ltr flywheel, starter & back plate, so as to fit the gt6 bellhousing. Thing is, not fitted the loom etc, & couldn't resist trying to start it. Put a wire from my other car's +ve to the coil, jump lead -ve connected, then jump lead +ve touched to the started. Turned very slowly & quickly got hot. Engine did fire briefly, which is a bonus..!

Anyway... Two questions... Bearing in mind that starter hadn't been powered for at least 8 years, had it become u/s?

Also.. The 2500 starter from suppliers is totally different to mine. Remembering I've used the flywheel & plate from the gt6, would it fit..? Can't see any reason a gt6 starter wouldn't be man enough to turn the 2.5..

Any advice appreciated..!

Steve.

• Like 1

The GT6 starter should be fine. 

However, when I rebuilt my 2.5 (in my vitesse) it struggled for the first few thousand miles until everything had bedded in.

I don't thing the 2.5 starter will fit with your flywheel. If the starter really does struggle and yu want to soed some cash, get the modern hi-torque starter, that will spin it easily.

(Hope you swapped sumps too!)

Hi Clive, thanks.

The engine slotted in fine, with no clearance issues, so not sure if the sump is original. There are a couple of "adjustment" ripples on it, so maybe has been changed at some point...

Good to know about the starter, thanks. Canleys list replacement brushes. Might give that a look first...

Many thanks.

the so called high torque are very good  ,, same as any modern box,  it will whiz the engine over for ever,  even on a pretty flat battery

as they are a small high speed motor with a gearbox which use hardly any current  compared with the bruiser Lucas types 

pete