Vacuum gauge from servo?

Froc

Morning all.

I am considering fitting a vacuum gauge to the Vitesse (Recent alternator conversion has made the Ammeter redundant, so am needing something to fill the hole in the dash!).

My manifold take-off is already feeding my brake servo, so I was thinking of 'tee-ing' into the servo rubber pipe to feed the Ammeter.

Has anyone done this (or similar?). Can anyone recommend a supplier of suitable tee-pieces?

Thanks as always.

Froc.

Ps- I already have a Voltmeter fitted ????

Froc.

Pesonally. I would tap a new thread direct in to the  inlet manifold; yes it will mean removing the manifold but I think it's a better option - sorry Pete !!

Alternatively you can purchase specific spacers with vacuum taps that fit inline with the Stromberg's, if you have them ??

For example Speedograph: http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/html/vacuum_pipelines.html

Regards.

Richard.

In the end of the day it doesnt matter where in the manifold you desire to measure the vacuum

its all down to preference and ease of installation

just not from the dizzy supply as that works very opposite to manifold vacuum

a reasonably set up engine will give 18 to 21 "hg at idle.

pete

For a while I had both ammeter and voltmeter, they tell you different things. The voltmeter, the condition of your battery. The ammeter, the condition of your charging system. With voltmeter only, by the time you notice the voltage is dropping and your dynamo/alternator is failing, it's too late. There's not enough in the battery to get home!

Unfortunately, my shunt ammeter failed, a matching Smith's gauge is no longer available and I really don't want ALL the current from the alternator in the loom behind the dash, it's warm enough in the GT6 as it is.

Thanks for all the input on this Guys. Plenty for me to consider. Spacers are sadly not an option for me. My Vit has a 2000s manifold, SU's and K&N's. Clearance to the RH inner wheelarch is very tight, and spacers would push the manifold out too far. Glad to hear that Dougbgt6 is already running the setup I am considering. ????

Hi all.

Just to follow up on this. I have now fitted the vacuum gauge, and it works a treat. I tapped into the brake servo (as per the pic I have tried to attach).

Reinforced plastic pipe and Tee Piece from "Advanced Fluid Solutions" for less than a tenner! Their website is well worth a look, lots of useful stuff.

Thanks again for all the input ????

Froc

Neat job Froc.

Only thing I would say is when I fitted my new servo, (Lockheed same as yours) the instructions said to put a "U" bend in the vacuum pipe feed to the servo. This is a fluid trap and I guess only fills with fluid if something goes horribly wrong! In which case you'd probably have more important things to worry about. Works just as well without it. Just a thought.

as the hose is always on the suck from manifold vacuum  most unwanted anything will end up in the engine  as there's a rush or air down the hose every time you apply the brakes ,  I read about the U trap before but in real world cant see what it would catch 

its unlikely any petrol fumes will get to the servo or down its vacuum hose the air  flow is always against it 

but  then i always was a sucker   !!! 

Im very pleased you like your U bend     ha !!

Pete

Thanks fellas. I was aware of the U bend requirement but it was nigh on impossible to achieve in the available space. Had this setup for a year now with no problems, but I will have another think about the U bend.

As an aside, after running with the vac gauge for a few days, I have decided I need to damp the airflow a bit (twitchy needle is irritating!). Going to fit an adjustable fishtank airline valve to the vac pipe at the weekend, which should do the trick.