Engine out, insitu gasket installation or leave well alone

Adrian

Doug, my thoughts exactly. I think I have one of most seals / gaskets on the shopping list now. The engine was rebuilt 22000 miles ago by the owner before last >14 years ago. I've already noted the wrong gasket on one of the carbs, not necessarily catastrophic but may indicate that other inconsistencies may be present. I know it would be easier with the engine out but having just done the interior (not thinking much was wrong with the engine) I am a little reluctant. The absence of a hoist also restricts options.

Adrian, the timing chain cover should be easer to get off than the sump! The only reason I haven't done mine is pure lethargy.  Also my crank was ground at the front to clean it up and the oil seal they gave me was supposed to be 2 thou oversized. Not sure where I can get one of those now.

Carb gaskets are tricky, even if you've got the right one. One way is correct but three other ways to get it wrong! Back to front, upside down & back to front AND back to front & upside down. The last two are not the same, difficult to get your head around that unless you've seen it!   :lol:

so the bridge block may already been stripped , normally due to too long bolts bottomed out  and heavy hands

you can tap them out to 8mm  and use metric bolts this can work,  or even try as far as 3/8"unf or UNC

as for timing cover oil seals try to get a metal cased one  often the plastic variety are far too deep and wont stay in the cover for long

if the crank collar is worn you can reverse it .

if you do a chain change  read the manual about the sprocket holes and how they allow 1/4 degree increments and how (ask here) to make sure the piston and cam lobes are TDC  its most important  

Pete