Headlining query

Waynebaby

Hi All,

The headlining on my GT6 has had quite a resemblance to the inside of a Bedouin tent since I bought the car and so I thought I'd have a go at de-flaccidifying it. Firstly I found that the sound deadening pads had all become unstuck from the roof and were lying on top of the headlining in between the stays (rails) and so I've just removed them with no discernible change in noise level in the car. The second issue I have is that one of the rails won't stay in place in it's locating holes so that if I go over a particularly rough bit of road it jiggles out at one end or another and drops the lining onto the top of my head.

Can anybody tell me if the rails are supposed to press against the underside of the roof when in place (mine don't) and also whether the sound proofing pads are supposed to be interposed between the rails and the roof of fit in between?

Many thanks

Wayne 

No idea about a gt6 but the rails (called listing rails) generally are sprung across the cantrails

to act as a bow, threaded through the head linner above the stitch lines and not touch the roof ,

anoying that we had a full trim dept where the girls would have made a new one in minutes..

now all gone....supposed to be progress Hmmm!!

The sound deadening pads might also be there to prevent the panel drumming or resonating; you can replace them easily with stick-on pads or sheets. 

If one of your rails drops out, it may be in the wrong place - they are slightly different lengths to suit the curvature of the roof and so one of your other rails may be too long for where it is now. They don't touch the roof but hang the headlining down below them. 

Colin,

Well, you were definitely on the right track. The two rear rails were actually the same length, but your suggestion made me realise that if I took out some of the curvature with a judicious use of the knee I could make the rails a tight spring fit between the cantrails (new word of the day - cheers Pete) again. No idea why they had become sloppy but they now won't fall on my head again!

Many thanks

Wayne