Throttle problem?

Advice needed yet again (we'll get it sorted eventually). After loads of issues with carbs and electrics, hopefully now fixed, the latest seems to be the throttle.

After replacing the throttle cable the throttle pedal was kind of stiff and notchy and started making a grinding noise when depressed. A few more depressions and now it literally screeches. The car was in the garage when this started, not in gear, just being revved to see if the revs were dropping back as they should. The noise is definitely coming from the area of the pedal under where the cable goes through the bodywork. Is it something I've done wrong when I replaced the cable or is it just another issue? I've read a lot about new throttle cables not being that great.

Could be the cable in the sheath (You have got a sheath?!!  :o ) needs lubrication. There may be some debate as to what sort, oil, grease or graphite but I've used oil in the past. New cables can be iffy, bicycle brake cables are good quality and cheaper.

If it has a fixed nipple at both ends you can only hang it up vertical and dribble some oil

to run down the inner into the outer sheath

cables can be two basic types a simple nylon tube or a wire wound with nylon tube liner

the liner gets worn through and you get a notchy pedal its too late to oil it.

one reason a bike brake is a better option , made to a higher standard and you can if useing a solderless

clamp nipple remove the inner to service it with some grease.

Thanks for that. I think it has a fixed nipple but not sure without checking. It's a brand new cable and the pedal seemed OK-ish for one short drive if a bit stiff but now the noise has to be heard to be believed. Guess I'll take the cable out again and have a look. Pesky car! :unsure: