Vitesse heater box removal

Robin

I'm thinking of tidying up the top of the bulkhead on my mk 2 - primarily to rub down and repaint the area around the brake and clutch m/s but to make it easier to spray I may as well remove the heater box as well. Do I need to drain the entire cooling system in order to do this?

Thanks

Robin

Hello Robin.

I guess the key question is, when did you last drain the system ??

A cooling system can never be drained, flushed and cleaned too often when the opportunity presents itself.

To answer your Q, you will need to ensure that the heating system is fully open and in the hot position. With that ensured, draining 50% of the system will be fine for your work on the heater box.

On replacing the coolant ensure you use a new mixture rather than that drained. 

Personally, I would drain in full and replace in full with brand new mix; additionally do not use tap water but buy distilled from the supermarket (cheap as chips) as this prevents unnecessary corrosion within the system along with your anti corrosion additive what ever that may be.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard

Thanks for the advice

i actually replaced the coolant earlier this year with pink fluid bought from the club shop. I've read elsewhere that the coolant should be blue so I'm not sure if got the right stuff. Any thoughts?

Robin

Hello Robin.

I use blue, although I believe green is suitable as well; whatever you do, do not mix the different colours.

Pink is normally OAT, so that would be incorrect; although that said some manufacturers are now using pink coloured AF to indicate it is long life up to 5yrs.

Have always found Granville Sub Zero (blue) an excellent product and currently in both of my classics.

For instance: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granville-Sub-Zero-BLUE-Car-Antifreeze-Summer-Coolant-Concentrate-Long-Life-5L-/221956374324?epid=1242039796&hash=item33ada17f34:g:P9oAAOSwwE5WXaIC

It's just my personal opinion obviously.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Robin.

I've not seen this before, but I have no doubt that if the club shop is selling it, it is doing so for the correct reasons and you can feel safe with it.

Regards.

Richard.