Strange Commission Numbers

Tricky

Good morning all.

I've been removing the commission plates for a body dipping.

The numbers look really odd to me !

Car No. XK2S1-98514A, on a black plate headed "Austin Morris Group, British Leyland UK Ltd"....

Body Number position has a red plate saying "Commission No." with the number D205 091411

My log book commission number is KE118340, which I suspect is a mistake and should be KE11834.

The engine number on the log book is ME52803HE, although I know I've got a new engine.

I think a previous owner has muddled some commission plates - any thoughts on this lot ?

Richard

KE11834 would be a GT6 MK2 commission number, but yours is a MK3, I think? Mk3 commission numbers start KE2, So something wrong there.  The engine number should also start KE for a GT6 but not the same number as the commission. ME is a Triumph 2000 mk2 engine. Not sure what D is from.

It's all in here:

http://triumphspitfire.com/Ref.html

Interesting reading and some nice coloured wiring diagrams.

37 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

KE11834 would be a GT6 MK2 commission number, but yours is a MK3, I think? Mk3 commission numbers start KE2, So something wrong there.  The engine number should also start KE for a GT6 but not the same number as the commission. ME is a Triumph 2000 mk2 engine. Not sure what D is from.

It's all in here:

http://triumphspitfire.com/Ref.html

Interesting reading and some nice coloured wiring diagrams.

Thanks Doug.  I think they are just duff commission plates from a previous restoration which is a pity.  Not sure if one can organise a new one anywhere ?  I think the log book number minus the last zero actually looks right as the page you referenced (which I have seen before and agree is excellent) suggests I’m a 1972 Mk III immediately following a change to the overdrive inhibitor switch.  I’m hoping your MkII comment isn’t quite right if you have another look ?  You’re right I’ve got a MkIII. 

Sorry Richard, I screwed up again! :wub: You're right, a 1972 mk3, got confused with the engine numbers, odd that both start KE and are quite similar, why did  they do that? Just to add to the confusion I guess!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-VITESSE-MANY-MARQUES-MODELS-CHASSIS-PLATE-CLASSIC-VIN-PLATE-ESSENTIALS/201510230662?epid=0&hash=item2eeaf21a86:g:PZgAAOSw-7RVCYoH

Two things from the dusty caverns of the GT6 section of the memory:

MK3 GT6 started at KE1, so a number starting with a 1 will certainly be a MK3.

The 'O' at the end usually denotes overdrive, and there should be a slight gap between the '0' and the number just before.

As Doug says ME is a Triumph saloon engine.

That Austin Morris plate reminds me of one I used to have on a Mini; it's certainly not Triumph.

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Two things from the dusty caverns of the GT6 section of the memory:

MK3 GT6 started at KE1, so a number starting with a 1 will certainly be a MK3.

The 'O' at the end usually denotes overdrive, and there should be a slight gap between the '0' and the number just before.

As Doug says ME is a Triumph saloon engine.

That Austin Morris plate reminds me of one I used to have on a Mini; it's certainly not Triumph.

Thanks Colin.  That’s very interesting and explains the “O” after my number in the log book. DVLA have of course printed it as a zero on the end of the number which confuses !