Rust

daverclasper

Hi.

Been wondering this for a while. Rust is caused by oxygen and moisture I understand. then why, if not absolutely removed/neutralized, does it return through a thick coat of paint, which I assumed would prevent the two catalysts entering/reacting.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

Because any crack in that paint will allow a little bit of air/moisture in and allows the reaction to start - the best way is to paint with a substance that converts the remaining rust into an inert compound and then continue to work once its dried - and be flexible. And have another coat of perhaps something else to make really sure!

Thanks. Just realised this on wrong section.

Yes, but, paint cracking, would then start rust on sound metal (which I guess happens sometimes).

Could it be something else?.

Wondering, as it's very hard to get rust out of seams, so can it be contained/banished (indefinitely/forever) or even a good few years?. 

Edited by daverclasper

I like Buzzweld paints- they are basically Corroless pains (Spelling!) - they do what I said before - they have different types for different applications and stuff to spray into cavities. 

But there is also POR15 which is another type of paint doing a similar function. Many are either 2pack or two different types of paint - and under coat and top coat.