Roof Rack

Paula

Has anyone put a gutter type roof rack on a Herald/Vitesse? I'm thinking of buying one just to use very occasionally.

I've found one with one clamp onto the gutter each side and 4 rubber feet onto the roof. like the one pictured but smaller.

Any horror stories?

rack.jpg

I had a gutter mount type with six legs (previously used on a Ford Angia 104E estate) and it served well on my Herald Estate.  There is not a lot of strength in the A/B/C pillars of a Herald, especially with rotted out bottoms of the C pillars, so I was a bit cautious when I used the rack to transport a Herald chassis, but nothing broke.   I wish i had it now, but I binned it when that Estate went to the great garage i the sky.  I used a rubber mounted boot rack on a Spitfire (occasionally) without problems.  I'm in the market for an original S-T rack (Turn Left for Tangiers) if anyone has one?

C.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

The rubber pads had a reputation for marking the paint as they do make a good grab 

Maybe add a felt pad .??

Make sure it will sit between the roof contours

Pete

Ok good idea

• 2 weeks later...

Well i picked it up and it fits. just!

I'm going to make a couple of struts out of Unistrut so i can move the 4 legs in an inch or 2. I'll put pictures up if it works!

Very nice looking though. I was going to sand it and varnish and paint it but it looks lovely as it is I thinkIMG_1152.thumb.jpg.f4664d32e5483dc03871ddfb945e4fe0.jpg

Just day to day general use really. The idea came from having to do multiple trips to the dump with garden waste and having to carry some wood back from B&Q because it wouldn’t fit. 

I wasn’t intending to go all Paris - Dakar on it. It won't be a permanent fixture, just put on when needed.

D70DC27B-0A06-4988-9E23-0C09F6092979.png

I'd try to fit a rack so that the weight is bourne by the rain channels, rather than the roof panel.

Halfords sell alot of different roof rack products, inc. a variety of 'foot packs' that link to cross bars.  Your rack could be attached top those.   EG http://www.halfords.com/motoring/roof-bars-roof-boxes/roof-bars-fittings/halfords-roof-bar-fitting-kit-m41-pack-of-4

John

It folowed a very rusty 6 year old Herlad 948  rotten as socks , the Imp was  right flier, 

Off the clock and rev counter in top thats over 7000 in any gear , you got 90+in third   amazing car

If you ever get to a show with the Imp club have a sectioned imp engine and gearbox they have two  one was done by me as an apprentice at Commer as the van version bore the Commer handle 

Back to roof rack now

Pete

Hi Paula,

I would be wary about putting felt between the rubber feet and the roof.  I imagine that this type of roof-rack relies on the rubber feet making direct contact with the roof panel and therefore helping to keep it in place squarely on the roof (I appreciate it has fixings to the gutters, but these are only one each side).  I think that the felt would prevent "adhesion" and the roof-rack would be prone to twist out of line.  This would be exacerbated by any load carried on the rack and furthermore by the speed of the car and the consequential effect of wind-resistance.

Tom 

39 minutes ago, TomL said:

Hi Paula,

I would be wary about putting felt between the rubber feet and the roof.  I imagine that this type of roof-rack relies on the rubber feet making direct contact with the roof panel and therefore helping to keep it in place squarely on the roof (I appreciate it has fixings to the gutters, but these are only one each side).  I think that the felt would prevent "adhesion" and the roof-rack would be prone to twist out of line.  This would be exacerbated by any load carried on the rack and furthermore by the speed of the car and the consequential effect of wind-resistance.

Tom 

Don't i need some adhesion?

IMG_1159.thumb.jpg.f2e4f6964a2e1b5054d1435c00101122.jpg

I mentioned something about the felt idea , grip is an obvious requirement but the rubber feet can cause some serious paint deformation , 

(got that tee shirt from times past)

as you only intend to use it on odd occasions and not have it on for months , i guess you will be ok  ,does it have 1 clamp per side or 2 ?

with 2 clamps per side it wont shift about , with only one then its quite possible

although youre not.................... carrying a sofa 

have not searched for replacements . if they are even avalable

just a thought the originals may be aged and a little hard    

pete

You don't need adhesion on those feet, they aren't suction cups, just load spreaders.   IMHO, your rack should be fixed down by the side clamps.

Sometimes, I have things stuck to my modern's roof with magnets (Aerial and emergency lights).    I place a square cut froma plastic  bag between the magnets and the roof, to protect the paint from vibration and movement.  Seems to work.

John

Well i'm rather proud of that!

The Unistrut sorted out the little bit too wide problem and coving it in stained oak to try and match it to the old slats looks pretty good!

Much more fun than getting one that fits! Total cost about  £65.

I wonder what i would get for it now on ebay with these pictures?

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg