Head modifications.....

Gadgetman

Hi all

On a 1600 Vitesse head, I'm having new valve seats fitted.

I'm told I can put larger inlet valves in with larger seats, are these the 2 ltr seats / valves.... (1.44" dia) ??

Also ref valve guides, has anyone put the phosphor bronze guides in, has anyone fitted the shorter inlet valve guides? This looks very similar to what Dave Vizard recommends in his book.....

or is this not worth it and I just put std size seats and std guides...???

I'm just looking at what is worth doing now whilst I'm spending some money on the head.

wayback  old forum there were some troubles with bronze guides seizing   dont remember the outcome

on mk 1 engines the valves are all common to 1600/2lt vit/gt6mk1    137841 exh  and 122257  inlet  

are you looking at Mk2 ??valve sizes 

i took 3mm of the face and with std valves and cam and carbs she went like you stole it ,, 

very  little in the way of needles for 1600 and after much messing  the std needle , no spring and heavy damper weights  won the day

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Yup thinking later Mk2 inlets valves and a bit of mild polishing of the ports.

Once I've got the head built and finished fettling the new engine I'll get it on a rolling road. I know of someone with one who even "adjusts" the profile of Stromberg needles to get the mixture / power right across the rev range......

The engine will all be balanced as well. I'm getting the flywheel skimmed as its grooved, now I'm thinking if taking a few pounds off of it as well before balancing ?

I recall you have said before you had a  Phoenix 6-3-1system, did you have clearance issues on the steering flex joint?  I'm considering putting one of the UJ type joints on as they are smaller diameter.

yes had a uj type  its the 631 gets close to the main shaft not the uj

also the slip 3-1  collector needed some slots and welded nuts on to effect a clamp or they leak like a sieve  and drive you mad  with the sounds of a beat up moggie with a hole in the silencer  Tried a wheel barrow twin tailpipes but sounded like a hair drier ,  used the semi sports herald 1600 single and it sounded  the best on song ive ever heard , 

i also cut out the air filter case to take some ram adaptors , 

have a  pic of the 3-1 clamping but the laptop has hidden a load of stuff in an update and ,  curse and swear mode just now

P1000080.JPG

P1000082.JPG

Interesting mod Pete

if your computer plays ball I wouldn’t mind seeing the exhaust mod pics.

Ive nice clean heads ready for a bit of fettling....

no rude comments ...

dunked in the de-carbonizing tank and finished with the glass bead blaster and the engine just bolts etc in the bag have all been through the plating shop ?

33600793-D115-4258-96B9-692C46BD9A3E.thumb.jpeg.27459bd71a4aaa779fef70561c6d94d0.jpeg 

7CE129FA-5B77-4A28-A420-DB6EAF152C51.jpeg

33600793-D115-4258-96B9-692C46BD9A3E.jpeg

9C3023DA-B6F7-411D-839D-0BB992552284.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ive found the pic but its somehow got into a place I cant upload from,  must try harder

Do be careful plating can   cause  thread enbritlement and they fail

Pete

Thanks

its passivated Zinc  we use it on all our aircraft engine hardware ? so no issues 

Mine was pheonix ,  you will have to re route the coolant bypass tube

I made a copper one to run in front of the air box ,  but later changed to just a hose with a silicon 90deg off the pump housing

It does need a restrictor in the bypass or you have a poor heater

Pete

Thanks Pete, I'l sort the by-pass before I take it in. I have some spare 3/8 bore stainless pipe so I might have a go at bending it to shape and flaring the ends and fitting screw in unions to the waterpump housing

I don't suffer from heat problems, the air leaks around the gearbox tunnel keep me warm!!! 

mine is a later model so I don't have the remote header.