Compression diagnosis 1200 herald

Tipidave

Hi All

having just collected my new herald 1200 I have worked my way round a poor starting problem. Amongst the usual adjustments (inc valve clearances that were all too tight)  a new hi torque starter motor as helped enormously. However compression test cold ( can't run up to temp until new thermostat cover arrives) revealed some interesting and low results as follows 

1= 110 psi

2= 70 psi

3= 55 psi

4=90 psi

other than a very tired engine, does this likely mean a gasket fail between 2 and 3? 

Before leaping into a full rebuild, would a head off visual inspection for scoring,  relap of valves, skim and new gasket be a logical first step .... or am I simply putting off the inevitable? 

Your thoughts greatly appreciated ?

So this is a cold test ?

Was the  throttle held open ??

Whats the running problems ?  Mis fire   lumpy  , lethargic or what ?

Is this with a std solex carb ? 

And yes HG bridged would give low on  2 and 3

Pull a head nut off look at the state of the washer if its all deformed by a now lost torqure on the nut    then a gasket failure is very likely

In the cost of things I would give the head and valves a good appraisal before you jump into deep  pocket sydrome

You need to do another compression test, preferably with the engine hot, but more importantly including a second round with a couple of spoonfuls of oil added to each cylinder as a wet test.

If the compressions are significantly higher on the wet test, this suggests rings/bores are an issue. Little change implies valve seating issues. The latter is quite likely given the tight tappet settings you report.

Nick

Yes throttle open

poor start from cold... seems to run quite sweetly but some blue exhaust fumes when under load ( reported by guy following me back home on collection) feels a bit lacking in power (but it is a few years since I last drove one ) haven't driven above 55mph because a wheel wobble needs sorting... then I found corroded thermostat housing that leaked a bit so waiting for replacement before further investigation