Frost chassis black

Adrian

Hi all, I’ve painted the chassis components and covered really well. Am now wanting to paint the bottom of the tub body colour but can’t find any info on overpainting chassis black. Any experience on this, should I leave the chassis black off the body tub?

cheers Adrian 

How did the chassis black get on the tub - previous owner or just over-enthusiastic application? If it's only overspray you can rub it off or sand back. I'd just coat the underside of the tub in a good primer, maybe stonechip on leading edges, then body colour. I'd assume the chassis black is intended as a top coat in which case rub down / key with sandpaper, cover with a good primer and paint over; I don't think you'd need any kind of barrier coat between the paints. 

No Colin, I was deciding whether to put the chassis black on the tub before putting primer and body colour on. Just as an extra durable layer. I can leave off and just go the stone chip, primer and body colour. Just wondered if it was over paintable.

I've used the Eastwood chassis black quite a lot but I'm not sure if it's the same as the Frost. Anyway, I've generally not had problems over-coating it. The one thing that gives problems is that the chassis black itself does NOT stick to their etch primer. It just peels off in sheets. An intermediate coat of zinc primer seems to fix that, though.

21 hours ago, Adrian said:

No Colin, I was deciding whether to put the chassis black on the tub before putting primer and body colour on. Just as an extra durable layer. I can leave off and just go the stone chip, primer and body colour. Just wondered if it was over paintable.

Ah, got ya now.

Personally I'd use Chassis Black solely as a top coat on the chassis and suspension components as I'm not 100% sure of the chemical makeup ie if it's intended to ever be overcoated; I'd keep it away from the tub if you're painting the underside body colour. As Rob says there may be no problems at all so maybe I'm just being me, as usual overcautious; it's a durable, hard paint but some of these don't take well to being overpainted. Just good primer (etch first if you want to) then good anti-rust primer, stonechip on the seams and leading edges then a good top coat. I'll be doing this in the New Year but will paint the chassis in the same way so as to have it the same colour as the body.