Refitting Stag Engine & Gearbox

Darren Groves

How did you remove them, as one or seperately. I cant think what the haynes book states but could checked later. Ive got am inkling its together, i think the bolts are hard to get too. but im sure someones done all ways possible and can advise the best way! It might depend of your space aove and below the car.

I've just checked the Haynes book. It states it can be done separately but suggests fitting the engine first then fitting the box from underneath. So I guess it depends if you have enough room under the car (car lift or pit) to get under the car and manoeuvre the box.

personally I think I would do it as one unit, but then I've not had to do it yet on a stag.

Hope it helps.

It came out as one unit, but you have to get the back very high, it wasn't that easy. We ended up taking off the suspension and cross-member to gain some extra space, which was fine as we planned to remove anyway. Now the engine bay is painted I wanted to see if there are other ways of refitting.

What happens on a clutch change, is it standard practice to remove the engine & box? I did Google quickly, seems it can be done separately but is a bit of a fiddle.