Wheels wheels wheels!

Mashby

Hello,

I have a 68 Herald 1360 convertible and it’s time to change my tyres. This has started me thinking about changing the wheels too (for a change)

options as follows 

1 Wires. Look lovely but are fiddly to keep clean and very expensive so I have discounted this

2 Minilites. I quite like the look of these. Much cheaper than the above, look nice, easy to fit a modern tyre

3 Stick with my old wheels and change the trim. Currently have the holes but could buy slots. What would look nice would be Vitesse Rostyle caps but I am not sure if these would fit? (Answers gratefully accepted)

Finally I think my tyres have tubes but I have no idea why or if they are necessary?  My very first car was a 66 soloon and had not tubes so I’m a bit confused. Again advice sought

So I’m looking for advice on the best route and what to watch out for. 

Many thanks

M

I bought miniltes (well Jbw ones) when they were on offer on Black Friday. Really pleased with them. Though I have also changed studs for larger ones. 

Other  than that can’t offer any other advice. 

Though John Brown wheels are excellent to deal with. And they fitted the tyres on exactly to spec with the dots in all the right places !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mashby said:

Hello,

I have a 68 Herald 1360 convertible and it’s time to change my tyres. This has started me thinking about changing the wheels too (for a change)

options as follows 

1 Wires. Look lovely but are fiddly to keep clean and very expensive so I have discounted this

2 Minilites. I quite like the look of these. Much cheaper than the above, look nice, easy to fit a modern tyre

3 Stick with my old wheels and change the trim. Currently have the holes but could buy slots. What would look nice would be Vitesse Rostyle caps but I am not sure if these would fit? (Answers gratefully accepted)

Finally I think my tyres have tubes but I have no idea why or if they are necessary?  My very first car was a 66 soloon and had not tubes so I’m a bit confused. Again advice sought

So I’m looking for advice on the best route and what to watch out for. 

Many thanks

M

With Minilites upgrade to Freelander studs, these are longer studs to compensate for the extra width of alloy wheels. This forum has lots of info for upgrade

Paul

• Like 1

Wires look good but are not that stable as the spokes need aligning and re-torquing quite often. 

Vitesse Rostyle caps will not fit on the 3.5J Herald Wheels, can be a real pain in falling off and expensive. 

Vitesse slot trims, Vitesse 6 and 2 Litre (Mk1), are I believe available.

Minilites, 5 or 5.5J, are period and were offered by SAH back in the 1960's.

You should have tubeless tyres. Sometimes tubes are fitted if the rim will not seal. i.e. not air tight.

Dave

On 23/02/2019 at 15:36, Paul H said:

With Minilites upgrade to Freelander studs, these are longer studs to compensate for the extra width of alloy wheels. This forum has lots of info for upgrade

Paul

Is that landrover freelander studs?