minilite refurb

Hello everyone,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Does anybody know if soda blasting is a good way of getting the original coating off Minilite alloy wheels? I would like to paint mine in graphite or black but want to leave the edge polished if possible. I've started to strip one wheel by hand but it's going to take forever to do that. I don't want to sandblast them as it would make the surface too pitted (past experience). I understand that soda is a much kinder and thought it might be better for alloys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.                                                                                                                                                                               Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for that Gengis, your wheels are very smart. How long did it take them to do the job?                                                                                                                                                                                   Rob

Just a point, but you can buy a new set of minilites (not genuine) for £265 delivered. Bear in mind a used set fetch about £100 it would make the cost just £165. Half the refurb costs....

A friend used to do this with mini alloys. He would buy a new set with tyres and sell the old ones. Cost him less than 4 new tyres plus he got new wheels.

On 12/03/2019 at 18:42, willis said:

Thanks for that Gengis, your wheels are very smart. How long did it take them to do the job?                                                                                                                                                                                   Rob

Took about a week. I had these refurbed because they are 6 inch wide not 5.5 and 6 inch are hard to get hold of. If yours are 5.5 it is cheaper to by new.

Cheers chaps, thanks for the ideas. Looks like some more research (and possibly shopping) is needed. Don't tell the wife.                                                                                                                                             Rob