Big saloon - Tidying up loose ends

Mjit

OK, so sorted out the headlight nightmare on my big saloon last night, with the help of a relay kit and the world supply of bullet connectors but left wonering what to do with the now unused wires.

For background a PO had managed to fit 2 relays, fed via a direct, fused supply from the battery and mounted to the inner wing.  So far, so good.  From there they'd butchered things behind theheadlight panel so each relay was controlling a single main beam-only lamp, with connectors snipped off and relaced with blades and some extra wires Scotchlocked in, I assume to feed some long departed spotlights - and the still live wires just left hanging...

Anyway, I was able to change things so the butchered main beam feed now triggers first relay, which feeds the main beam side of all 4 lamps (had a spare set of lights from another car).  I also snipped the dipped beam feed on the passengers side and used this to trigger the second relay, with feeds the dipped beam side of all 4 lamps.  This leaves me pondering what to do with the now unused wires.  At the moment that's and unplugged outer lamp H4 connector and inner lamp bullet in a single bullet connector on the driver's side and an outer lamp H4 connector with just main beam and earth wires connectred on the passenger's side.

1. Just leave them hanging.
  2. Wrap them in tape and leave them hanging.
  3. Snip them, wrap them and leave them hanging.
  4. Snip them and plumb them in as additional feeds to the trigger side of the relay.
  5. Something else (but I'm not taking the whole loom out to strip unused wires!).

Think the PO took the "revert back" option off the table many years ago, which is why I went the route I did and didn't just use the eBay H4 relay loom's 'piggy back' H4 plugs and sockets.

There may well be a new loom in the future anyway.  I'm just glad not to have live wires dangling around when I put the headlights on!

I think "getting to know" my new car has already improved fuel consumption.  I mean I've taken a good half kilo of wires that didn't do anything out of the car...

I put my new headlight relays on and left the huge length of spare cable taped up under the bonnet while I went for a run to check things out. Of course the tape gave up and I ended up with 2 yards of cable dragging along the road. Thankfully no damage and the cables have now been trimmed up neatly. Teach me not to rush things.