First start on new engine

Steve P

well the cap should seal in two places, the inner lower hole below the overflow which is closed off by the spring loaded part of the cap and the top outer lip (this isnt subjected to much pressure but must seal to allow the vacuum generated in the rad on cooling to pull the coolant back from the overflow bottle).   

But the gauge has never indicated any overhear , the expansion bottle is of little consequence

If they have any experience the gasket will give its failure , heat, loose or whatever

To  fail enough to load a cylinder with coolant is pretty obvious  its let go , loose being the obvious ,as the coolant has to get from the

Jacket ports  and then past the fire rings 

and little to do  with the cooling system   

Pete

Well   my thoughts are  coolant pressure maybe 13psi   combustion pressure  in the 1000s   no contest . Combustion pressure can overcome the fire rings..... coolant ...never as a initial  failure 

Head gaskets mostly fail due to a product  problem or its not clamped down ,  

Recessed /non recessed  tend to fail on  the driveway  not after a few hundred miles  this has all signs of it never achieved its head clamping force  .....

You used ARP Bolts  have you  checked they  have not had a  hydraulic lock in the block or have bottomed out

Seems a reasoned  explanation  std studs have a slot in  the thread to allow any oily stuff  to escape

Pete

yes it can if not controlled rise to much higher but nowhere near what the Bang produces 20psi in the water jacket wont blow the fire rings out as they are supposed to be sandwiched between head and block and held pretty rigidly  any ideas the coolant system caused this is a red herring 

Pete 

The verdict today from the engine shop..

They had it running on the rolling road for 45 minutes,smoking badly.

He said it had far too much advance set at all revs,along with being way too rich at tickover going too lean after that.

He thinks one of the ring lands may have gone so it basically needs a strip and possibly a new set of pistons and a hone.

Oil issue due to blowby.

Gutted.(note to self,do not do first starts on the drive).

I will get a cost and decide whether to offload it.

S

I dont think there is a scheduled  retorque in any  triumph manuals 

Whilst many do this but its not obligatory  

This can depend on the type of gasket used but if at max 48lbft  less 30% its at 33lbft       thats loose !!

Thats a  lot of relaxation for a few hundred miles   

A double skin copper can crush down where as a klinger(black)  type does not 

Sorry my view sticks with it was never pulled down correctly from day one

Pete

That sounds like a very low torque if they were done to the correct figure on rebuild. Also did they explain to you about retorquing after the engine had been run? I would have thought they would have wanted you to come back for them to do it....