Barons Auction 16th July 2019

Paul H

its only 3 gears a BW 35 is not the best  a BW65 is much better 

but as with all auto's of the day ratios are all or nothing great if you like them 

but a manual with overdrive gives 5 ratios to spread the power ,   ( as 3rd OD is same as 4th ) Triumph missed a trick in split ratios .

Pete

• Thanks 1

on truck evaluation in the 70s   they   put a BW35 in a 2ton commer walkthru  we go halfway up airport hill and the Perky 4.203 was at full chat the vehicle ground to a halt , 

could'not   see us for smoke the idea was scrapped and type 65 when behind a $.236   loads of torque ..better

Battery electric took over , fast furious and  40 mile range on wet batteries ,that was mid 70s techy .

Pete

I had a 1973 Scimitar on which the autobox failed, so having cash in those days bought a recon unit plus torque converter. My local mechanic had a lot of head scratching over it, and when nothing appeared to line up he cut brackets, rewelded halfshafts, chopped the chassis and all sorts of other things over a six-month period (It was in his garage for longer!) THEN he admitted defeat and couldn't get the car to drive at all. It turned out that the car had a type 65 and I had bought a type 35 on the advice of the retailer as the most common box on the SE5a and when nothing would fit, the mechanic decided that he would bloody well make it fit. I had the car for two years during which time I drove it twice, spent a fortune on it and sold it as a non-runner for £1200 less than I had paid. I never trusted automatics for years until I had a T5 Volvo and it restored my faith in pedal-less driving.