compression test results

iana

Ive had repeated failures of my Mk1 manifold gasket but seem to have sussed it now by regularly checking the clamp bolts are tight! In my experience many bolts that are continually heated and cooled seem to slacken off - I just wish I could check the head bolts as easily.....

some years back i had mk1 manifold gaskets where the stud holes and apertures were all misaligned which if not noticed put the whole thing on the wonk and left sealing faces very marginal around 4  & 5 

some years back but the ribon press tool was well misaligned 

if you need beter and cheaper head nuts for the mk1 3/8" unf  use ones for Mini / cheaper and better , 

best nut for surface area is a upside down wheel nut but they wont fit all places and there needs to be consistence 

pete

2 hours ago, johny said:

Ive had repeated failures of my Mk1 manifold gasket but seem to have sussed it now by regularly checking the clamp bolts are tight! In my experience many bolts that are continually heated and cooled seem to slacken off - I just wish I could check the head bolts as easily.....

Same on my Mk1 manuals say to retorque the head but I now do the manifold as well, bad design in that you need to remove the manifold to reach some of the head nuts, you can use a lot of manifold gaskets.

Regards

Paul