Midday or midnight

NeilF

It started with an email advising the the car meet was at 10.00am through to 12.00pm.

Now I reconed that that was about 14hours and a long time to be standing arround. A reply from me said don't you mean through to 12.00am midday. Back came the reply 12.00pm midday.

Now I thought that one us was wrong, and it was not me! Following a little discussion down the pub, look it up on the net was the answer and this followed my first 'I don't believe it'.

So what do you guys think. Is 12.00am midday or midnight.

My digital alarm clock at just after midnight showed 12.05am and now I am scared to have to set it for a midnight feast. 

What do you think?

NeilF

The clue is in the AM and PM.

I found this explanation....

“AM” stands for the Latin phrase Ante Meridiem —which means “before noon”—and “PM” stands for Post Meridiem : “after noon.” Although digital clocks routinely label noon “12:00 PM” you should avoid this expression not only because it is incorrect, but because many people will imagine you are talking about midnight instead. The same goes for “12:00 AM.” Just say or write “noon” or “midnight” when you mean those precise times.

Any teh wiser??Thought not

So, 11.59pm is 1 minute before midnight, and 1 minute later it is 12.00am. Simmilarly 1 minute before noon is 11.59am and a minute later is 12.00pm.

That sounds daft to me.

Still confused.

NeilF