Smiths Radio Console

SixasStandard

9 hours ago, clive said:

Nigel is the chap on facebook. 

Maybe put a plea post out on here. He must be known by somebody who frequents the forum.

I brought 2 from him very good quality. I will facebook message him later to day to see if I can get some details to post on here.

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used some standard Herald kick boards I had at the time to mount the speakers. The Vitesse normally has a storage pocket on the passenger kick board whereas the Herald doesn't hence the use of the Herald type. This was about 20 years ago so I am not to sure if the kick boards are still available. The sound can be a bit muffled, but with a suitable radio, this can be adjusted with the tone controls.

Mounting speakers in the doors would be closer to the ears, but I just didn't like chopping up the door trim panels.

Dave

If you want to contact Nigel Hook who makes the speaker panels here his contact details

" my email address is nigevitesse@googlemail.com It usually takes a couple of days to make them.. Black and Matador Red at the moment.. But im struggling to get the correct colour pigment for the beige (but ive only ever been asked for beige once) Cheers"

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

If you want to contact Nigel Hook who makes the speaker panels here his contact details

" my email address is nigevitesse@googlemail.com It usually takes a couple of days to make them.. Black and Matador Red at the moment.. But im struggling to get the correct colour pigment for the beige (but ive only ever been asked for beige once) Cheers"

Thanks; test e-mail sent.

I've just ordered two sets of these from Nigel; red for the Estate and black for the convertible and he had them manufactured almost immediately. I'll have to road test them to see how the sound quality stands; as I have already two door speakers in the convertible I'll use these more as bass woofers to resonate back from the bodywork behind - effectively it means that I can have four speakers for the CD player but all in front, none behind.

mills.JPG.2fdbb38f4688f3eac2cb3dfb431bca8d.JPG

Incidentally I also found a speaker unit fitted to a Herald when looking for something totally different, as always happens. You can see how snugly it fits but it also gets in the way of the heater ducts...

DSCF7786.jpg.b05262ec0ebcb757e7c0e53ff5b72590.jpg

3 hours ago, SixasStandard said:

That is a neat looking unit Colin, could I ask where you found the picture?

Ian

I was looking for details of a press car that I've recently been sent info on, and it appeared in an article from Motor magazine, August 1965, reproduced in the Brooklands Roadtest book. This one was fitted to a 12/50 and the writer claims that the 'Pye 2010 unit gave no trouble at all.' 

brooklands.jpg.75f1a24aed41c0c1f13f129d2f362bbf.jpg