Smiths Radio Console

SixasStandard

Hello All,

I am lucky enough to have a rare original Smiths LAT72 radio console, as fitted as an option to Series Sunbeam Alpines '63-'68. Now I'm sure that I've seen a picture of something very similar fitted to a Vitesse (but perhaps with a slightly different mounting arrangement), so wondered if any Vitesse owners (past or present) on the Forum have ever fitted one of these to their car?

Thanks,

Ian 

ps-LAT72[1].gif

Hello Ian,

Now that I have seen the picture, my only observation is the height of the combined radio unit + speaker in relation the "fee space" between the top of the Vitesse g/box tunnel and the bottom of the dash. I can measure that for you if you wish ??

It certainly looks very similar to units fitted to Triumphs and someone on here may have such - possibly Colin.

Regards.

Richard. 

I have two similar - similar, but there may be variations in behind yours Ian that prevent them being fitted to Heralds and the like. Early Heralds have two brackets welded to the lower dash support that later ones do not, and this matches the mounting points on my units, so I know this was an intended mount for the radio, but it's the space above the gearbox tunnel that requires the substantial speaker to sit at an angle and thereby doesn't give the best sound quality when angled downwards or backwards enough to clear the tray on top of the tunnel. Both of mine are cut-out in behind and sit well enough as they're only really flat panels, but if yours is solid underneath it may not have the clearance. I've experimented with another period unit that has the speaker on top and should be somewhat clearer for listeners; you can attach extra mounting points to the gearbox tunnel on any of these to help stabilise it in place. The radio certainly fits; it's the space required for the speaker that causes problems and doesn't lead to the best position for listener comfort. I'll fit one of these in the estate for the novelty value but in the convertible I'm intending to use door speakers.

C45D0726-F765-44C9-B578-BDDB9EB84314_1_105_c.jpg.f21062010e5a187f106bd6f1abd6a487.jpg

4334454578_002e202d43_b.jpg.6974ee42c944c5cd2effb7bbd3eada65.jpg

Thanks guys.

Colin - Thanks for the pictures, and for your observation regarding the downward stance of the speaker in some of the consoles, which is an issue that I hadn't considered.

Richard - I share your doubts about the suitability of the LAT72 unit based on the available space. Further research has unearthed a picture of what appears to be a Stanpart console designed along similar lines to the LAT72, but with a reverse angled speaker face and trim that looks designed to mate with the trans tunnel box. Bearing this in mind I don't imagine that the Lat72 as used in the Alpine was ever fitted in a Triumph model. That being the case I won't attempt to use it in my car.   

The Mk1 2 litre Vitesse that I'm picking up next week has a rather ugly plastic box housing the current Sparkomatic radio/cassette under the passenger side of the dash. This unit feeds speakers in the rear quarter trim panels. As I'll be replacing the interior panels with the correct Mk1 versions in OE black it gives me the opportunity to rethink the current set up in its entirety. It would be nice to have something which looks period correct and authentic, but perhaps with a more modern hardware solution behind the façade. I have yet to make a decision on the actual hardware, but as for the console...….. the Stanpart console pictured below looks interesting. I take Colin's point regarding sound quality, but I suspect that some concealed speakers mounted elsewhere would improve sound quality.

I haven't even picked the car up yet, and I'm already loosening the purse strings!

Ian     

Stanpart Console.jpg

Installed Stanpart Console.jpg

Lol I left that earlier post unfinished to go do something else and found it had autoposted, so hope it made sense.

I was trying to get pics of the side profile of mine (can't show it fitted as both Heralds have the gearbox tunnels removed at present) so that you can see how they will compare to yours. If Richard can measure the gap I reckon it will be the best guide for fitting. The unit with the radio at the bottom can be angled so that the radio clears the tunnel tray if need be.

DSCF7725.jpg.e790768e7fed3f010a7faac5ccaca6ba.jpg DSCF7726.jpg.61ba7252d7218245326c8db3082ba8ae.jpg

1 hour ago, SixasStandard said:

Further research has unearthed a picture of what appears to be a Stanpart console designed along similar lines to the LAT72, but with a reverse angled speaker face and trim that looks designed to mate with the trans tunnel box

That's correct Ian, the scoop dish on top of the g/box tunnel has either 2x or 3 holes to take the shaped section at the bottom of the speaker mount; giving a degree of rigidity whilst still leaving the scoop free for bits & bobs.

Whatever radio set-up you decide to fit, it will always require removing if you need to extract the g/box tunnel - it just gets in the way in a space that is not overly generous to begin with !!

Regards.

Richard.

From the securing holes on the scoop measured vertically it is approx. 14cm; if measured from the holes angled out towards the front edge of the base of the dash then it is approx. 18cm and as such the position of the Stanpart unit measures in between the 2x distances given above. 

The images maybe of some help. When fixing the bracket to the gearbox cover do not removed all three screws at the same time otherwise the screw fixing plate at the rear of the cover will be lost. Leave the centre/offset one in place.

Colin, the early Heralds had 2 brackets fixed to the bottom of the dash rail. These were heavy duty to take a weighty valve radio or it's control box. There were mainly valve car radio in the 1950's, no need for a heater! Once the light transistorised radios came into use these brackets were dis-continued.

I,ll get my anorak and go

Dave

img234.jpg

Fit 1.jpg

35 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

Colin, the early Heralds had 2 brackets fixed to the bottom of the dash rail. These were heavy duty to take a weighty valve radio or it's control box. There were mainly valve car radio in the 1950's, no need for a heater! Once the light transistorised radios came into use these brackets were dis-continued.

Isn't that what I said? Early heralds had two brackets for radio mountings on the lower dash support (which just happen to be the same spacing as my aftermarket console brackets) but later cars don't have them.

11 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Isn't that what I said? Early heralds had two brackets for radio mountings on the lower dash support (which just happen to be the same spacing as my aftermarket console brackets) but later cars don't have them.

Yes, but not the reason why they were there and why they were dis-continued. In other words why is there this difference between the early and later Heralds.

Dave

If I may (politely) suggest that while these old/period radios look correct, they are not FM and to convert is expensive.

You may well be better off "living" with a more modern mounting, and people here have used a "retro-period" looking unit off ebay that is very reasonably priced (sub £20 I think). 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2512315.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xretro+car+stereo.TRS0&_nkw=retro+car+stereo&_sacat=0

As to speakers, in my old convertible I had speakers in the footwells. My footwell panels were just some millboard salavaged from the garage, and some very decent speakers fitted. Sound was decent enough considering the environment, and they were nicely tucked away from prying eyes. 

In fact I then used a portable CD player, feeding a power amp tucked away under the dash. I still use that same amplifier, but it is now fed from an MP3 player or phone. I even had a bluetooth adaptor for teh amp, but it has gone missing during some work. It was only a few quid, so not too worried. 

But it all depends if you want a talking point, or something that is functional. 

Now, this has got me thinking about where I can fit a decent bass powered speaker in the spitfire.....

13 minutes ago, clive said:

If I may (politely) suggest that while these old/period radios look correct, they are not FM and to convert is expensive.

You may well be better off "living" with a more modern mounting, and people here have used a "retro-period" looking unit off ebay that is very reasonably priced (sub £20 I think). 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2512315.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xretro+car+stereo.TRS0&_nkw=retro+car+stereo&_sacat=0

As to speakers, in my old convertible I had speakers in the footwells. My footwell panels were just some millboard salavaged from the garage, and some very decent speakers fitted. Sound was decent enough considering the environment, and they were nicely tucked away from prying eyes. 

In fact I then used a portable CD player, feeding a power amp tucked away under the dash. I still use that same amplifier, but it is now fed from an MP3 player or phone. I even had a bluetooth adaptor for teh amp, but it has gone missing during some work. It was only a few quid, so not too worried. 

But it all depends if you want a talking point, or something that is functional. 

Now, this has got me thinking about where I can fit a decent bass powered speaker in the spitfire.....

Here’s a £15 replica in my Vitesse 
PaulCC15929D-6FAD-451B-BAF0-EC182D964BD4.thumb.jpeg.d3c8ecf29a269171f9436fe8e5654626.jpeg

33 minutes ago, clive said:

It's only the mounting, Clive, I've more than enough modern / period-looking radios to fit something else but I think, given the expected sound quality of a modern unit with single speaker, I'd be better off carrying a portable battery radio to switch on when the car is stopped. You can get some great period-looking versions of those, too.

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

Here’s a £15 replica in my Vitesse 
PaulCC15929D-6FAD-451B-BAF0-EC182D964BD4.thumb.jpeg.d3c8ecf29a269171f9436fe8e5654626.jpeg

are these loud enough to be heard OK when on the motorway? 

And they appear to be down to £11.50 now!

Temped for the lady wife's MX5. 20 years old. ANd she is classic savvy. But she asked if the  stereo was bluetooth compatable!

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It's only the mounting, Clive, I've more than enough modern / period-looking radios to fit something else but I think, given the expected sound quality of a modern unit with single speaker, I'd be better off carrying a portable battery radio to switch on when the car is stopped. You can get some great period-looking versions of those, too.

I don't spend time in my car unless driving! Honestly, footwell speakers work a treat. Some chappie is making nice fibreglass panels with the correct millboard surface and ready to accept modern speakers. Just leave the old mounting in the car for show?

6 minutes ago, clive said:

are these loud enough to be heard OK when on the motorway? 

And they appear to be down to £11.50 now!

Temped for the lady wife's MX5. 20 years old. ANd she is classic savvy. But she asked if the  stereo was bluetooth compatable!

To me they are fine , a purist might disagree . I’ve got speakers in the rear . The radio has Blue Tooth for phone calls and using mobile and Spotify etc . The radio is very small in depth and very light  plus Memory stick access. Go for it 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clive said:

Some chappie is making nice fibreglass panels with the correct millboard surface and ready to accept modern speakers. Just leave the old mounting in the car for show?

That's interesting! Any idea who?

I have four speakers in the GT6, one in each rear trim and one in each glove box aperture and they're good enough to be heard over the engine.

I had two large triangular pod speakers in under the rear hatch, held on by velcro, but reckoned that if I braked hard they'd hit me on the back of the head, so out they went.

(Just spent all day fighting with a modern Ford CD unit so ICE is not in my good books at present.)

35 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's interesting! Any idea who?

I have four speakers in the GT6, one in each rear trim and one in each glove box aperture and they're good enough to be heard over the engine.

I had two large triangular pod speakers in under the rear hatch, held on by velcro, but reckoned that if I braked hard they'd hit me on the back of the head, so out they went.

(Just spent all day fighting with a modern Ford CD unit so ICE is not in my good books at present.)

He posts on facebook from time to time. Also makes (apparently) very good gearbox tunnels. Somebody MUST know who it is, but facebook is a nightmare to do a search for anything older than 22 minutes.

Not being on Facebook I couldn't find anything relevant bar this single photo - posted by a Nigel Hook? Is he the manufacturer? I couldn't find why he had posted it or any linked text.

Those look interesting!

78684654_10217152081806538_1603903150975090688_o.jpg.a2f2b3e5bfb0e2b3604d3de0f987205a.jpg

Update: found him through a bing search.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/116689651680167/permalink/2811047018911070/

Any other method of contact? I'm not on Facebook so can't PM.

4 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

Clive, I did an evaluation of these Retro radios in the Nov 2019 Courier. Read and see what you think.

Dave 

Will do Dave.

Trouble is we had a clearout of magazines etc at Christmas. I may need to borrow a copy!