More Bonnet Hinges

Neil Clark

I've just finished prepping the new chassis and realise that the hinge mounts on the chassis are Mk3, no one seems to have Mk1 / Mk2 mounts, while my "new" bonnet, very tatty as yet and needing a lot of restoration, has Mk1 hinges.  Is there an easyish way of adapting the bonnet hinges to the Mk3 mounts?  I notice on my wrecked chassis that the Mk1 mounts are very crudely welded on (and may be salvageable) so I suspect that the front rail of that chassis was not Mk 1 either.

Ah, yes, I did think your chassis photograph looked like a Mk3 but couldn't remember what the differences were. The extra bits for a Mk1 were just welded on to the sticky-out-bits that are still there on the Mk3 chassis, though. The Mk3 had different extra bits bolted on.

Thank you Rob.  Much appreciated.  Given that my "new" bonnet is a dogs dinner just now and ripe for serous repair, if I measure the spacing between the chassis hinge mounts and the bonnet hinges themselves and find it to be the same do you know if I can just bolt Mk1 somehow to the newer Mk3 mounts or do I need to look at some welding?  I just can't tell from the Canley and Moss on-line drawings.

I think you'll need some welding. The Mk1 chassis has a small vertical bit with holes to mount the upright for hinge adjustment, shown in this image extracted from the WSM, whereas the Mk3 hinge point is lower and further forward.

Mk1Bit.png.bddee5476f938f720e214393b574d4e6.png

The bit I've coloured purple is specific to the early chassis. The bit I've coloured green has mounting holes on a Mk3 but, AFAICT, is otherwise identical to the Mk1. So I think you will need to obtain, rescue or fabricate the purple bit and weld it on.

How badly bent are the brackets on the crashed chassis? The proper way would be to cut these off, repair and weld to the MK3 chassis. You could use mk3 bonnet and tubes but would then have to use mk3 bumper/overriders and valance 

This is what I have and I think that the existing working hinge mounts moved over to the other chassis is the way to go.  I suspect that the PO had had the same issue when it was restored in 2015.  The "new" bonnet has the correct tube ends and I can use the current mounts and most of the existing parts - plus minor parts from the sources mentioned elsewhere.  There is also a plate welded onto the chassis above the chassis hinge mount from which the front valance etc was suspended.  I have a new Mk1 valance and brackets so somehow I'll get it to work.

Dan - I've not had a response from the e-bay contact yet but thanks for the heads up. 

IMG_5088.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

It certainly looks like the old chassis had received some alterations. The plates from which the valance hangs should not be required. The original fitment is a bolt-on bracket which is readily available from the usual suspects (I even have a spare for one side as a supplier sent two the same instead of a handed pair). The Mk3 valance fitting is the same as the earlier ones, it's only the extra holes in the valance itself that are needed for the low bumper.

On 03/03/2020 at 18:45, NonMember said:

I think you'll need some welding. The Mk1 chassis has a small vertical bit with holes to mount the upright for hinge adjustment, shown in this image extracted from the WSM, whereas the Mk3 hinge point is lower and further forward.

Mk1Bit.png.bddee5476f938f720e214393b574d4e6.png

The bit I've coloured purple is specific to the early chassis. The bit I've coloured green has mounting holes on a Mk3 but, AFAICT, is otherwise identical to the Mk1. So I think you will need to obtain, rescue or fabricate the purple bit and weld it on.

Rob, I've hacksawed the hinges off the wrecked chassis and they were in working order on Saturday when we removed the bonnet.  There are two holes in the front face , which itself is a bit buckled but as I say the hinges were working.  Although I took loads of photographs during disassembly I don't have a photo showing me if anything was attached there.  The overriders don't attach there do they?

Yes, the overriders attach to the holes in the front of those purple brackets, I believe. My recollection was that they were slots, possibly even cut through to the end like the ones on a Herald or Vitesse, but it's a good few years since I looked closely at a Mk1/2.

Yes the overriders attach by hooking over over the small cutout on the welded on bracket and then bolt through one of the holes in the front plus through the bumper and a spacer. There are 2 holes as the GT6 has slightly different overriders