Early GT6 seats - rubber diaphragms, and lack of...

Colin Lindsay

I need to replace the rubber seat diaphragms in at least one of the GT6 Mk1 seats. I'm assuming it's no longer available - it was originally by Vitafoam part number P112/A and measures approx 305mm x 305 mm. Whilst many catalogues show the diaphragm they all seem to replace it with an alternative part - 579300Z which is a strap kit; Newton Commercial have an actual drawing of five interleaved straps which I'm assuming is all that is available. I bought the strap kit from Paddocks, it arrived today, but they're too long and sag so much I may as well be sitting on the floor.

So: questions, as usual... is there any suitable alternative diaphragm from any other Triumph model? (Spitfire MK3 from same era but seats may differ? Herald are way too big) Is there any easy way to tighten up the straps? (Incidentally the GT6 only takes four, there are no predrilled holes for any more, so there's even less support) or has anyone found an alternative to straps or rubber diaphragm?

DSCF8116.jpg.fecddf30b0969124a645bf72612511ff.jpg

Thanks Doug / Stewart - I've managed to modify the existing webbing by cutting and bending the hooks, which gave almost two inches of contraction on each strap. It's tighter but not ideal. The seats really need new foams but I'm trying to get to MOT on Thursday so no time for a full revamp. I'd like to make my own, Doug, but my sewing is on a par with my welding... in other words, get someone else to do it, and at present they're all self-isolating... and of course I gave my copy of the Courier away just this morning to a potential new member. Perfect timing as usual...

Colin, 

I'm not sure sewing was involved, my brother's done it and he can no longer hold down a chord after his "unfortunate" accident in the Moss car park, he tripped over the disabled ramp and broke a finger.  :rolleyes:  I think he used rivets.

Doug

Aha.. I like the sound of that. I can rivet, at least. If I get the car rebuilt in time for the MOT and it passes then since I can't really drive it for pleasure these days I'll probably rebuild the entire seat base, so that's another job salted away for lockdown.