Herald 1200 Interior Light

Bordfunker

Thanks all!

I’ve got the festoon bulb, and everything worked as it should before I took the dash out, but with the dash going back together it looked a bit sorry for itself.

Is there any edging around the lamp aperture, or is the vinyl supposed to be glued down?

Karl

its such a poor thing makes you feel like a nice modern LED minature interior unit is worth searching

in the meantime  vinyl and glue to the rescue there was no surround  and dont hold the bulb when its been on for a few minutes it will stick to your skin  ouch !

pete

On some cars - don't ask me the exact years, I'm still trying to determine that - there was a metal surround. I tried it earlier with both earlier and late versions of the courtesy light and on first fitting it fitted the earlier, more solid light; I went back later and it only fitted the later, thinner version so at present I'm frantically scouring reference books to see which cars originally had it. There's no reference at all in my early Parts Manual but this one came off a 1967 1200 and the only photo I've managed to find so far shows one on the padded dash setup. As Pete and Martin have already said there was no cover for the bulb itself.

DSCF8506.jpg.4775ebf63e4eedf69c192304e82579d7.jpg

That took a few trips up a ricketty ladder and more than one coffee but I found the bit I needed.

Pre 1963 cars had a solid interior light made of metal, and a cardboard surround shaped for the heavier switch - top one in the photo.

Post 1963 cars with the padded dashboards had a metal surround but a much flimsier light unit. The switch does not turn as far hence the smaller cutout. Behind this the cover was just stapled in place. As with all dates I use them sparingly as there were some 1964 cars with the earlier setup, but as always that's registration date rather than build date.

DSCF8519.jpg.6b163d2c04865e0390b5a412ea3164de.jpg DSCF8521.jpg.66a66beff38f35fbd716aa59e4b3d81b.jpg

Colin that’s brilliant, thanks for going to the trouble of digging that out.

Mine is a 68, so I’ll need to try and make up a new one in sheet steel, or alternatively go up market and make one out of wood and veneer it to match the dash.

Thanks again.

Karl