Engine & Box alignment

chrisbladen

5 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Chris, 

Most people think uj's will take care of any driveline angles. The opposite is very much the case, it is imperative the input and output angles in top and side views are parallel ideally to +/- 3 degrees max. Much more and vibration can make the car undriveable. 

11-driveshaft-alignment.jpg

Hi ian. Yeh i understand that and i would say if anything my prop looked like the top one where it is slightly off central. I might get under the car and try to pin point a centre line down the chassis and work from that to measure at either end of the prop shaft, that way i can see how much over to one side the gearbox is in comparison to the diff.

Quite difficult with a chassis that is so close to the floor and working off axle stands 😔 oh well needs must an all that!

remind me of fun on the assy line with a muppet  operator  miss matching any of the ten coupling bolt holes, then using all the wrong drop plates when you have 3 props to phase on a long wheel base truck  .   when we tried to show the errors of his ways he said   these oil tubes are bl**dy heavy      and yes when they are out of  phase disaster soon appears 

due to the  UJ  rotation becomes wildly elliptical rather than near circular  

all good fun 

Pete