1977 Spitfire with rusted frame

I am considering self-restoring my 1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 (North American model). The first hurdle I've encountered is a rusted frame at the junction of the rear cross member and left rear strut under the trunk (which I don't think is found on European models).  Replacing the frame may be necessary.  Does anyone know how interchangeable Spitfire frames are for models of different years or where to find that information?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

the basic chassis is pretty much identical for all years. The bonnet mounts are different for mk1/2, mk3 and mk4/1500 but these can be swapped. Then the 1500 has a small cutout to clear the exhaust. That and the rear struts under the trunk were US spec only.  

If it's any help the Moss-Europe and Canley Classics websites have chassis parts diagrams.  You could compare the components on those drawings with you own chassis to establish any variance.  And maybe YouTube "Vortex Garage" Episodes (18 has a US chassis image) or similar US restoration videos such as "1976 Triumph Spitfire restoration. #1 Body to Frame connection".