Camshaft grinding - OK or not?

llessur

Am still very slowly working my way through a rebuild of my 2500 S engine and need to make a decision about the slightly pitted camshaft.

I've spoken to a respected camshaft machinist in Victoria and I can get it reground to the same profile for relatively little money, or I can splash out on a new one ground from a billet for around 3.5 times the cost.

I'm leaning towards a quick and dirty regrind, these guys reckon the hardening on these chill cast camshafts is quite deep and that won't pose a problem. Before I commit does anyone have any words of warning about this approach?

yes get the followers refaced or the worn ones will pluck the edge off the new ground lobes 

new have in general a slight convex face which wears to concave ,its the concave face  that will wreck the new cam 

even flat will be better than worn !!   but never refit a as used followe

years ago when short of ££s  i had a rattlely   Chrysler Alpine went like a rocket but a real tappet/cam  racket .

got a camshaft sent down  from the Humber factory but could not acquire followers  so flatted  them in a pillar   drill on some wet and dry 

sold car all quite for over 80,000 miles till tin worm won ....still quiet    

just an idea 

Pete

56 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes get the followers refaced or the worn ones will pluck the edge off the new ground lobes 

new have in general a slight convex face which wears to concave ,its the concave face  that will wreck the new cam 

even flat will be better than worn !!   but never refit a as used followe

years ago when short of ££s  i had a rattlely   Chrysler Alpine went like a rocket but a real tappet/cam  racket .

got a camshaft sent down  from the Humber factory but could not acquire followers  so flatted  them in a pillar   drill on some wet and dry 

sold car all quite for over 80,000 miles till tin worm won ....still quiet    

just an idea 

Pete

Didn't all Alpines rattle Pete? They were a sod to set tappets on, so nobody bothered..... Comfy car though.

Tony.

well with rocket science (Hmmm ) cam followers and a revised cam from  the factory freebie consortium  it was the quietest of all 

i dont think the simca mob understood the follower offset till coventry got their hands on it  the 1600 was quite normal and quick in its day 

the 1442 was a rattle box as were 1100 , had a management simca 1300 with twin webbers , a real yikes potent rattler not keen on the car though 

but  a super quick dunstable to coventry shuttle 

Pete

Triumph followers should never be convex!  They should be dead flat - flat enough for two to stick together if oiled and pressed face to face. If they rock even a hint when played face to face they need to go back to the supplier.

Re-profiling a slightly worn cam is acceptable, if it’s not too far gone.

Nick