Mounting sports exhaust rear box - Rimmers, Phoenix?

Roger K

I'd appreciate some advice on fitting a sports exhaust rear box.  I've bought this from Rimmers, along with a fitting kit - but there's no diagram or clues of any sort as to how the fitting kit should go.  My old standard box (twin exit on the RHS) had two mounting brackets to align with the factory brackets welded to the boot floor and rear valance.  The new Phoenix (I think it is) box, which is similar but smaller, has only one mounting bracket on the far right hand side, above the tailpipes.  How do I mount the other side?  Not sure a clamp on the tube with a rubber strap will reach the factory mounting bracket on the car.  Or is this one not used with the sports exhaust?  Worried the weight will let it hang at an angle rather than level, if there's only one strap.  Also, is the rubber grommet in the kit for the diff mount, or somewhere else?

Thanks

Roger, Mine has two bobbin rubber mounts with angle brackets to the bracket at the rear of the box. I'll take a picture tomorrow however I have a possible other solution by using D mounts and welding another bracket on the box which will allow more movement in the system. As fitted my system is extremely rigid.

The strap on mine is attached to one of the diff casing bolts.

I didn't fit my system but I assume you have to drill two holes in the floor.

Iain

Don't worry, I 've had several cars that use the bobbin arrangement so am quite familiar with them.

I chose the Phoenix sport rear box as I feel the standard box is a great lump of metal, with quite restrictive tailpipes given the diameter of the main pipework.  It's also very quiet...  that said, I'm trying to keep the car looking as stock as reasonably possible apart from some wider wheels.  For that reason I've chosen the Phoenix box over the wheelbarrow handles, which I had on my first GT6 back in the day.  

I was hoping not to have to drill the boot floor, which isn't braced for a bracket anyway - but as the sport transverse box doesn't go near the midline mounting bracket on the rear valance forward face I guess I'll have to do something extra.  I doubt the right hand mounting bracket at the tailpipes and the diff mounting alone will keep it hanging straight.  The exhaust, that is.