Exhaust for Vitesse Mk2

Robin

The exhaust tailpipe on my Vitesse back box measures 3.5cm in diameter - am I right in thinking this might be off a Herald 1360? If so would I be better fitting a semi sports back box or would it make little difference apart from the sound?

Robin

the std tail pipe was a 35mm   pea shooter 

I have got a used stainless one going spare if you need one 

semi sports do sound nice but results on how loud vary, from cool to awful 

no idea what triumph did to design the small outlet as it doesnt match the input diameter 

but a swap is only a few miles away  

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Robin

the std tail pipe was a 35mm   pea shooter 

I have got a used stainless one going spare if you need one 

semi sports do sound nice but results on how loud vary, from cool to awful 

no idea what triumph did to design the small outlet as it doesnt match the input diameter 

but a swap is only a few miles away  

Pete

Hi Pete

just sent you an email

robin

Hello Robin,

Just FYI and as a guide, my Mk2 exhaust is 48.1mm ID and 50.6mm OD.

It's a single box unit, rear silencer, which produces a great sound and not overly loud unlike the wheel barrow set-up.

Regards.

Richard. 

13 minutes ago, Robin said:

So I wonder if the semi sports box that the club shop is selling would be a suitable choice?

I think Richards may be a Canley version. I had one one mine, an excellent choice. Not daft loud, reasonably free flowing. A good compromise. Otherwise the Canley single box sports exhaust is a very good choice, I know of several cars fitted with them, and travelled long distances with those cars in europe. 

The sports exhausts do diddly squat for performance, better results to be had from a few hours on the rolling road. (OK, JT did the tests on a sports exhaust, it made a few% difference, the manifold similar at a f=different point in teh rev range. At best you may get 5-10%, but remember the car was optimised (ie needles swapped etc) to get the max power/torque for each setup. This would be an expensive experiment to repeat!)

24 minutes ago, clive said:

I think Richards may be a Canley version. I had one one mine, an excellent choice. Not daft loud, reasonably free flowing. A good compromise. Otherwise the Canley single box sports exhaust is a very good choice, I know of several cars fitted with them, and travelled long distances with those cars in europe. 

The sports exhausts do diddly squat for performance, better results to be had from a few hours on the rolling road. (OK, JT did the tests on a sports exhaust, it made a few% difference, the manifold similar at a f=different point in teh rev range. At best you may get 5-10%, but remember the car was optimised (ie needles swapped etc) to get the max power/torque for each setup. This would be an expensive experiment to repeat!)

Hi Clive - where did you get yours from? I’ve heard mixed reviews about the Bell’s version the shop sells.