Fuel pump top

cliff.b

Arrghh, replacing final fuel hose this afternoon, from the filter to the pump. And when I attempted to pull the old pipe off the inlet spigot the spigot came away from the top casting.

On inspection it looks like it had been glued.

I have araldited it back in but not happy as a permanent repair so wondering if anyone knows where I could get a new top.

Obviously, I could get an entire pump but seems silly for such a minor issue.

Many thanks

IMG_20210519_141329_597.jpg

Are those hoses round the right way? I would have thought the rh one was coming from the tank and the lh going off to carbs but the arrow on the top cover shows the opposite and indicates the inlet leading to the gauze filter...

1 minute ago, johny said:

Are those hoses round the right way? I would have thought the rh one was coming from the tank and the lh going off to carbs but the arrow on the top cover shows the opposite and indicates the inlet leading to the gauze filter...

So find out when trying to start!

42 minutes ago, johny said:

It is the correct way round. The RH (lower) pipe is going off behind the engine on the way to the carbs. The LH (upper) pipe is coming from the filter which is in front of the pipe from the tank so I can get to it easily. 

phew! Yes it looks like the pumps come designed to fit like that. Unfortunately Im pretty sure you wont find just a cover - theres quite a few designs of pump so any cover might not fit and also a new pump is only around 20 pounds (Paddocks RKC1624?)....

6 minutes ago, johny said:

phew! Yes it looks like the pumps come designed to fit like that. Unfortunately Im pretty sure you wont find just a cover - theres quite a few designs of pump so any cover might not fit and also a new pump is only around 20 pounds (Paddocks RKC1624?)....

Yes, although I'm not sure how to be certain I'm ordering the correct pump. It's no use going by the car commission number as the engine number is a Dolomite factory exchange unit, I think. 

I know there are issues with different pumps & spacers etc but not sure what I should be ordering for this.

3 minutes ago, johny said:

that part number is also for Dolomites and looks very similar to yours. If you remove yours and the operating lever is the same as the picture I think its a pretty safe bet👍

I suppose as long as the top is the same I could always just swap it over anyway.

the only pump to add confusion is the 1500 spit which had a longer cam arm and a plastic spacer to insulate it from the block 

you cant mix and match but as the long arm 1500 pump is generally unavailable you can fit the std herald and everything else pump but have to remove the spacer and add nut spacers or fit shorted studs 

you shouldnt be able to fit a long arm pump to a std as the arm will be much too long 

and if you fit a short arm to a spacered it wont pump much

ive not come across a top feed pump but that doesnt mean much  just seems odd.

most fit easy but some manage to get the pump cam arm under the cam instead of over it 

Pete

ok and I would replace the complete pump and keep its guarantee. They dont last for ever and on failure can leave you stranded so a spare isnt a bad idea. The only possible downside is that if your carb float valves arent brilliant a new pump can overcome them and cause overflows...  

31 minutes ago, johny said:

ok and I would replace the complete pump and keep its guarantee. They dont last for ever and on failure can leave you stranded so a spare isnt a bad idea. The only possible downside is that if your carb float valves arent brilliant a new pump can overcome them and cause overflows...  

Oh well, if that happens it just highlights another issue that would have needed fixing sooner or later. I just want to get the car reasonably reliable ASAP.

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

well its all do able  but its taken 50 years to get in this state and you want to fix it in a month 

go for it    H a!!!

Pete

Well I'm in no hurry to fix everything right away, just the things that make it safe with a reasonable chance of getting to where I'm going.

There will still be plenty more to do after I achieve that but I will want to enjoy driving it a bit during the summer first.

• Like 1