Dashboard swap

A TR7 16V

19 minutes ago, A TR7 16V said:

There's a Doly one on ebay, which takes the same slide switch as the Sprint, that looks like it's already drilled for a wire out the side. Given the commonality, I may look at that if I can get it for a more reasonable price - but thanks for the tip on heatshrink.

The dolly one is probably single rail? And your herald 3 rail? in which case no dice.

OD gearsticks tend to fetch very good money now. I sold a few last year that I had in the garage for donkeys years.

2 hours ago, clive said:

The dolly one is probably single rail? And your herald 3 rail? in which case no dice.

OD gearsticks tend to fetch very good money now. I sold a few last year that I had in the garage for donkeys years.

Yeah, the top that's on is wrong, but as said I have the right one somewhere bought in error when I first got the mimosa sprint. As long as the thread's right, if the worst is worst I can file the legend off.

I've seen, looking on eBay at OD sticks: little change of a ton, just for that! 

Graham

3 hours ago, johny said:

If I fitted OD to my car Id be very tempted to try one of those foot switches (originally headlight dip) to operated it...

That's not a bad idea if there's a good spot for it. 

The indicator cover and none overdrive cover are the same part if I do come to move the OD switch, right?

Graham

18 minutes ago, A TR7 16V said:

Yeah, the top that's on is wrong, but as said I have the right one somewhere bought in error when I first got the mimosa sprint. As long as the thread's right, if the worst is worst I can file the legend off.

I've seen, looking on eBay at OD sticks: little change of a ton, just for that! 

Graham

I am now a bit confused.

The fitting into the gearbox is different between single rail, 3 rail and big saloon/sprint/TR gearboxes. 

The thread between OD and non od for attaching the gearknob is different.

When you say covers teh same, do you mean gearbox tunnel? column cowls? or something else?

3 hours ago, clive said:

When you say covers teh same, do you mean gearbox tunnel? column cowls? or something else?

The covers referred to are the cowls on the steering column; the overdrive setup in early cars has an additional stalk on the indicator side for the overdrive; later cars have the switch on the gearknob so just one stalk on the right side of the column. 

15 hours ago, clive said:

The thread between OD and non od for attaching the gearknob is different.

Well I guess I was just assuming they were the same, but assuming they're different and the OD one is bigger, I can get/make/modify an adapter to fit the OD knob on the Herald stick.

I meant the cowls, as I'll have to replace the OD one if I move the switch, and I've just bought an indicator one.

That is, unless I think of something to use the old OD hole/switch for, like a wiper switch on the column. For that, I'd just need to mount it the other way up. 

And if I'm going to think about my 'druthers in this context, then, for commonality, I'd rather the main/dip/flash switch was on the same side as the indicators. I know that should be the right in an RHD car, but I also need commonality with modern cars where that battle's bin well lost: mourn that result as you may. I found this problem with the Sprint, where I was forever wiping the screen when I wanted to go right, indicating left when it started raining, and washing the screen when I wanted to obscure a detail in a shouted comment. So I turned that set over as well.

In which case, If I mount the/another overdrive cowl on the left, I'd have a place to mount a different switch for the lights. So I wonder if I might find a two position up-down switch with a spring biased pull for flash, maybe off another car? But it might want a more robust mounting than that bit o' plastic if flash is going to be used as means to underscore some comments though.

And moving the light switch frees the current one up as a possible two speed switch for the wipers with what was flash for a 'leccy wash pump. But then I need a two speed wiper motor that fits. Or possibly wipers and rear hi-vis rear lamps - I'm very much of the opinion that they should never be on unless the wipers are as well. And what to use the old wiper wash control for? 

Graham