Repair section for spring/axle tunnel

Sandy Gibson

Does anyone know if a repair panel is available for the above section (connects boot floor to inside wings and front floor)

I have patched up my existing Mk3 Spit in this area. It’s solid, but doesn’t look great and would really like to cut out the entire section and replace it with new.   
Never understood why this section doesn’t seem to be available.  I can understand it is a complicated pressing but I would have thought demand would have been big enough.

Or am I just not looking in the correct place?!

Bill Davies used to make it, and Chic Doig was able to supply sections, but no-one has sold that area for years now. I read someone's post a while ago about how they made sections using sheet metal and an old socket to make the indentations, but it's a labour-intensive job and beyond me at least. As you say, it's a wonder no-one sells them as this part takes the brunt of the road dirt thrown up under the car, and is heavily patched in many cars I've seen.

The lack of availability is probably a demand thing. Sure, that panel gets pretty ratty but...

- it's fairly well hidden

- it's complicated

- replacing it completely forces you into a body-off restoration

so there's not likely to be much demand from the "good enough" brigade or the "quick fix" crowd. It's only the purists who want the repair section that includes all the ridges, never mind the full saddle.

Thanks Mathew but I’ve completed the body off part and in the middle of a spare engine rebuild just now.  Wish I had seen your section last year. It would have saved me a lot of work.

Might contact you again in the future if I have the body off again though.

many thanks